It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New "Zero Day" invasion via IE5/6/7

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I posted to the previous Zero Day threadby SO, but wanted to start anew, because this is specific to the IE browser.

The Guardian put up a story today concerning the use of IE7 (and 6 and 5) being vulnerable via malware injected websites exploiting security setting within the browser. It unlocks the computer and any data contained can be accessed and stolen. Even MS is telling people to switch browsers until they can patch the hole. Its bad when MS tells you NOT to use one of their products.

guardian
microsoft
cnet

I use Chrome and FF for just about everything. The only time I have to deal with IE is on my work computer, because I have no control of the browser that our IS dept puts on the computer.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
hmm... the Microsoft site makes no mention of not using the browser. It's simply and announcement of a forthcoming critical patch.
So, where is the truth? Do you have a link where MS actually says to not use IE or are you just spreading FUD and pandering your preferences?

[edit on 16-12-2008 by abecedarian]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

This is whay the free code world is the way to go. Ever seen Anti-trust?
This portrays many things.
The next PC I build will be running Linux, VLC, FF and nothing that comes from MS or anywhere where my 'file' can be sold to the highest bidder.

If you've never used FF man then go for it, if you want the best add ons get the
download helper - to save all those videos that are quickly pulled down by youtube and the like

All-in-one-sidebar - great for keeping all tollbars easily accessed while giving heaps of vertical room
web developer - any page can be done pretty much anything with....
and the z black theme

Anyway sorry for going a bit off topic but for others reading this that don't know what firefox is, well download it and those add ons I mentioned and you will love 'kingdogol' for the rest of your life
......beacuse I told you about it.

Information should be available to all humanity......

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
hmm... the Microsoft site makes no mention of not using the browser. It's simply and announcement of a forthcoming critical patch.
So, where is the truth? Do you have a link where MS actually says to not use IE or are you just spreading FUD and pandering your preferences?

[edit on 16-12-2008 by abecedarian]

If it helps, I can confirm our news reports in Austalia has been saying that MS recommends that users use a different product untill this is sorted.

I wouldn't use IE anyway, well nearly anyway, I ave to use it for the ATO website, but that's about it.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

From the Guardian news report:

Users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer have been warned of a flaw that could let hackers gain access to their computers and steal personal data, and told them to swap to a rival browser...

Microsoft is trying to put together a patch, but in the meantime computer users have been advised to update their security settings or switch to unaffected browsers such as Firefox or Opera.

I will apologize that I didnt read the entire report on Microsoft's site, because there were nearly a dozen sites reporting and by the time I got to the Microsoft link, I was just tired of reading redundant information. I linked MS because they did report on the problem and some attempts you could take to limit the potential damage. Those saying switch browsers are noted as "they" but are actually industry experts not associated with MS.

You will likely notice no mention of another browser in the CNET link, but they have several variations of the story on their site.

So...
The 'truth' in this is that it is still a good idea to use an unaffected browser until MS can patch the holes in IE.
The 'truth' is that MS has no idea when this fix will be complete.
The 'truth' is that this hole has been around for a long time and is only getting attention because it is being exploited for reasons of theft.
The 'truth' is that FireFox is not affected by this type of vulnerability.
The 'truth' is that trying to run IE (any version) in the locked down manner that they suggest to protect yourself makes web browsing so grossly painful that who would want to surf like that.

I do not have an agenda against MS or IE. I would just like to make people understand that using IE right now is dangerous. If you like it, use it. Just wait until the patch before you go half cocked and start clicking on sites you dont already have previous experience with.
[edit on 17-12-2008 by wheresthetruth]

[edit on 17-12-2008 by wheresthetruth]

top topics

join