It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Winged Cats - Egyptian Angels?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
New evidence of the existence of winged cats. Was Egyptian cat worship the beginning of the concept of winged angels?

Check the link to the article

www.gomestic.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Very Neat haircuts.
My cat had a mohawk once.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Probably not. As mentioned in the article Egyptians didn't portray cats with wings. Not to mention that the modern depiction of angels with wings did not emerge until the Rennaissance I believe.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Interesting. Never heard of this before. So, I was doing some more research.

Here is a wiki link (not that it is always 100% reliable)
en.wikipedia.org...

Winged cats is a term for sightings or descriptions of cats with wing-like appendages. There are three different causes of wing-like appendages. The most common is longhaired cats having matted fur. Felted mats of fur can form along the body and flanks if a longhaired cat is not properly groomed. Less commonly, mats can occur in shorthaired cats if molted fur adheres to growing fur over several seasons. When the cat runs, the mats flap up and down giving the impression of wings. These can be very uncomfortable for the cat and can harbour dirt, feces and parasites. Extensive mats must be shaved or clipped by a veterinarian. This explanation is ultimately untenable as the sole solution to the winged cat phenomenon, for several reasons. Many notable examples of winged cats feature shorthaired specimens. The occurrence of mats in longhaired cats is easily recognisable by experienced cat owners and breeders, but not recognisable to novices. Matted fur is not considered notable and rarely reported except by those unfamiliar with the condition. Although mats can occur all over a longhaired cat's body, to novice eyes they are most noticeable on the flanks when the cat is in motion.

The second explanation of reports of winged cats is a skin condition called feline cutaneous asthenia or FCA, which is related to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (elastic skin) in humans. In winged cats that are due to FCA, the wings only occur on the shoulders, haunches, or back. Winged cats that are due to FCA can often actively move their wings, suggesting the presence of neuromuscular tissue within the wings, which is not present within clumps of matted fur alone.

The third explanation is a form of conjoining or extra limbs. These non-functional or poorly functional extra limbs would be fur covered and might resemble wings, as in one winged cat case recently documented by Dr Karl Shuker, in which the wings were shown to be vestigial supernumerary limbs.

There are more than 138 reported sightings of animals claimed to be winged cats, though some of these are clearly nothing more than individuals with clumps of matted fur. There are over 30 documented cases (with physical evidence) and at least 20 photographs and one video. There is at least one stuffed winged cat, but this may be a nineteenth century fake or "grift". An undated taxidermy specimen in poor condition can be found in a museum in the Niagara Valley. It has bony structures near its shoulder blades covered with flaps of skin. These might be extra limbs

[edit on 12/14/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
If you believe that,I have a bridge to sell you.

Most of those videos seem to show cat's with with matted fur.
Some of the pictures are photoshopped.

Here's a Wiki article about the phenomena:
en.wikipedia.org...

As for ancient Egyptian angels... no. The Ancient Egyptians didn't have the same idea of angels as we do, wings wouldn't have made them angels.

Edit: GreenEyedLeo beat me to it. Nuts.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by RuneSpider]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I read the reports of matted fur & skin conditions - It may be true of some - but not all!

Check out this link

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The above link is from Aug 08

This cats "wings" contained bone and grew within the space of a month

The winged cat from Manchester could move the wings - many other reports state the same

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
"...the celestial equator was often described in ancient popular literature about the stars. Plato, for example, in his dialogue Timaeus said that when the creator of the universe first formed the cosmos, he shaped its substance in the form of the letter X, representing the intersection of the two celestial circles of the zodiac and the celestial equator. Thisc ross-shaped symbol was often depicted in ancient art to indicate the cosmic sphere. In fact, one of the most famous examples of this motif is a Mithraic stone carving showing the so-called "lion-headed god," whose image is often found in Mithraic temples, standing on a globe that is marked with the cross representing the two circles of the zodiac and the celestial equator."
www.mt.net...

The cherub is composed of 4 creatures:man, lion, bull, and eagle
(also representative of Matthew, mark, Luke, and John in same order)

Egyptian cat worship was actually the worship of Bast or Bastet who in fact never is shown with wings. Another cat goddess of Egypt was Sekhmet, lioness goddess, also never had wings.

One of the closest examples of a cat with wings is the Mithraic lion-headed God (notice the celestial globe with equators underneath):

[edit on 14-12-2008 by cancerian42]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

I googled and found a lot of copies of the article in your link.

But genetic experts claim there is nothing angelic or magical about the condition, which doesn't hinder the cat's quality of life. They say the wings can form through poor grooming, a genetic defect or a hereditary skin condition

From the article.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Oh I think they are real are they not?

A genetic Mutation, here is one from china recently:

Strange found on my post Here on the thread:

Possibly the Ugliest Animal on Earth

with some very far out creatures indeed!

Njoy

Elf.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Cool post! Thanks for sharing!

Something to note:

Cats were treated as Gods in ancient Egypt.

new topics

top topics

join