It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department of Health Confirms Plague in Los Alamos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well it is just a pet cat for the time being thankfully

(Santa Fe) ­ The New Mexico Department of Health encourages people to continue to take precautions against the plague, such as preventing your pet from hunting. The Department of Health's Scientific Laboratory confirmed plague in a cat from Los Alamos this week.

But if the cat has it then its fleas have then theoretically any animal and humans they come into contact with. Thank God its not in a pet cat in Central New York with the vermin population close to Humans as exists there.

There has been one human case of plague in 2008 in an Eddy County man who got the disease in January from hunting rabbits. In 2007, New Mexico had five human plague cases with one fatality.

Symptoms of plague in humans include sudden onset of fever, chills, headache, and weakness. In most cases there is a painful swelling of the lymph node in the groin, armpit or neck areas. Plague symptoms in cats and dogs are fever, lethargy, and loss of appetite. There may be a swelling in the lymph node under the jaw. With prompt diagnosis and appropriate antibiotic treatment, the fatality rate in people and pets can be greatly reduced.

New Mexico Health Dept

Even though I really love nature and animals, very strongly, if I thought a pet of mine had the plague I would not hesitate to exterminate it, and ensure it was burnt from a considerable distance, saddening as that would be.

I always wonder how it took such a great hold in the middle ages, and has never had mini outbreaks in heavily populated and urbanised areas with huge amounts of rodents so close to the pet loving modern man.

Though of course I am aware of the lack of animal and human fleas as opposed to then. It still mystifies me how a similar mini outbreak has not occurred.

I just hope this is not a sign of the increase of the deadly disease.

Kind Regards

Elf.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
"Bring out your dead!"

Okay, now that that's out of the way...

Plague is relatively common in the desert Southwest. They get a couple human cases here and ther.e I wouldn't worry unless they start to report an increase in infections.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Agreed,
But its good to get the word out to people there if they have pets to be extra vigilant, and to be careful trapping, and hunting, and especially around the home with dead animals how they tidy it up...

Los Alamos eh, I wonder if its Super Mutated plague lol.

Only kidding

Elf.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I checked but missed the previous poster by minutes, probably best to add any comments to an ongoing discussion here on Current Event:

**Alert** Plague Confirmed in Cat at Las Alamos

Soz dont want to waste server space:

Elf

top topics

join