It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Indians religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is a quest for knowledge that I hope some of the board members can help me with. I recently watched a very interesting show on the intermarriage of African slaves with various Nations, though the Cree were talked about at length. African slaves, as a benefit, were guranteed free offspring; though heavily persecuted, the Cree were still free.
It made me think of Santeria - an amalgam of the religion of the African Yorubas and Catholicism. What are the amalgams in practice today that came from the African tribes melding with the various Indian Nations spiritual practices?

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I don't think there are any.

It was individuals who came in, not whole nations. We do see some crossover beliefs with the Christians, but not with other religions where the tribes came in contact with only a few people at a time.

It may have gone the other way, though. Rabbit is one of the American Indian trickster figures, and there's some evidence that the B'rer Rabbit stories are influenced by AmerInd culture.

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The headdress of a Toltec warrior presented in image the back of the head of a cobra (prepared to attack) and the image of a dove (the back as well with wings extended). The Egyptian headdress presents the face of a cobra (prepared to attack) and the face of a vulture. The intent of the two being so similar was to present the relationship between the two cultures. But keep in mind these headdresses are thousands of years old.

So as well is the issue of the Olmec......

See links:

homepages.luc.edu...

homepages.luc.edu...

join