It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know about enemy safe software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I’ve always been curious about this. My question derives from some one taking a weapon that belong to you and uses it against you. The simple example would be a police officer has his hand gun taken in a struggle and is used against him. This is just an example not the question.

Now move on to military; does anyone know if the military uses software that can be enabled if the item gets into the wrong hands. Okay here is an example; Lets take a fighter aircraft (perhaps this is the ultimate example) if it were captured and flown by an enemy would the original user be able to disable it remotely. Another example fighter aircraft again; the fighter is sold to another power that becomes and enemy would the original owner be able to disable it remotely so that weapons could never be used against the country that manufactured them. Same with helicopters, tanks, field guns.

I guess its top secret but have a guess

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I know for a while back in the 90s some of the gun companies were experimenting with pistols that could only fire if the shooter had on a ring that was keyed to that gun.

Some others were embedding sensors in the grip that measured electrical resistance so that the gun could be keyed to a specific owner, like a cop, and if it was taken away it wouldn't fire.

I don't know about software though.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Some years ago there was a project that involved a small chip inside the handle of the gun or in the stock of a rifle, and the cop or assingned person who that gun/rifle belongs to would have a small module, sort of like a remote start, lock/unlock type thing that sends a signal to the chip in the gun/rifle, activating a small solenoid and would allow the gun/rifle to work. If it was taken away from the cop or whomever, at a very small distance, the gun/rifle would become inactive and unable to fire. There were versions for the civilian market too.

It was a great idea and I think the excuse to not implement it was cost, but with cheap miniature electronics these days, I am still surprised that the idea has not been re-introduced and implemented. It would save alot of lives.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I would say for planes the pilot experience would be a key factor as well as mission IFF code. Without the correct IFF you are the enemy regardless what you are flying. I don't know for sure but would imagine ground vehicles send IFF of some type also.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
the biggest flaw in any of these concepts is that they are another sub system that can fail - and if it does the legitimate user is left with a peice of ballast

KISS principle

do not add any additional layers of complexity that have a catastropic failure consequence

top topics

join