It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The economy and our personal lives...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hi,

I am posting this because like another thread poster in this category, i too run a small business and things have gotten BAD. where i used to bill $6 - 10k as a fee to a client, i now charge $1000 dollars flat. It was this or shut down the business and i am in Australia where things aren't as bad compared to the USA.

What strikes me is that we all focus on the Macro issues when it comes to the downturn in the economy. i have often thought about the effect on individual lives but never had to deal with the consequences - till now.

It seems to me that no one is lamenting the loss of these extra 'frills' in our daily lives and everything is just about the economy in general. My question is - how are people coping with the downturn in America especially the potential impact it will have on their personal lives??? Or is it a case of, 'i have a job, so everything is ok' syndrome still being king?

[edit on 2/12/08 by 04326]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
good topic

it is heart breaking to me to hear the numerous story's of those people who lost there high paying jobs and have to struggle to even find a lower paying job to not just take care of themsleves , but there family.

in my case I am in my late 20's have a G/F two jobs, but have NO intention of having Children anytime soon because the world and the economy is TOO unstable IMO to take such a Risk. I think at least one of my job's ( i was unemployed for the summer) will be in jeporady due to economic hardships and i would be shaking in my booty's if i had a family to support at this time.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The collapse of consumerism will be very painful for some, but a welcome respite for many.....there is much to be said for living a sustainable existence....

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
cpdaman i am glad to see that you are taking steps to guard yourself against the effects of the downturn. that's exactly what i mean, we all have to make changes in our lives but i was till four months ago the person who did get paid the big dollars and supported two families (and a couple others on the side for good will) but now all that has stopped. it just plain sux!

RolandBrichter, there is sense in what you say about the collapse of consumerism being a welcome respite for some. But Respite may be too strong a word for it all. Yes i agree that it is a positive thing as it weens society off the 'credit consumerism' which is wrong is so many ways... but what about thee self reliant people who worked hard to set up a comfortable existence for their loved ones - and now they see the whole thing about the crumble before their eyes. Surely, there is not respite for them.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter

A fan of Derrik Jensen?
www.derrickjensen.org...

reply to post by 04326

it may lead some people to become more vulnerable to manipulation via the appearance of order given by a figure of authority

the figure of authority may have the people so completely and utterly wrapped around his finger that they would be blind to any injustice and atrocity committed before their very eyes

sounds familiar somehow...
maybe the idea of a nation or belief has the people so completely and utterly...

[edit on 11-12-2008 by warrenb]

new topics

top topics

join