It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World stability hangs by a thread as economies continue to unravel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

World stability hangs by a thread as economies continue to unravel

www.telegraph.co.uk

he Communist Party lost its ideological mission long ago. As the economy sours, there must be a high risk that it will resort to the nationalist card instead.
"What happens when China attacks Japan? Will the US retaliate on our behalf?"

As for Europe, it is already fragile. Iceland, Hungary, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, and Serbia have turned to the IMF. Russia is a hostage to oil prices. If Urals oil stays below $50 a barrel for long, we are going to see an earthquake of one kind or another.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
In the 1930s, it was not obvious to people living through debt deflation that their world was coming apart. The crisis came in pulses, each followed by months of apparent normality – like today.

Great essay, though I do think it contained some famous last words:

Investors are retreating into 3-month US Treasury bills – the ultimate safe-haven. The yield has fallen to 0.02pc, less than zero after costs. You pay Washington to guard your money.

Indeed, that has worked well for over 50 years. But that kind of mindless reaction seems to be precisely what is being challenged. On this thread, Ambrose continues:

If in doubt, cleave to those countries with a deeply-rooted democracy, a strong sense of national solidarity, a tested rule of law – and aircraft carriers. The US and Britain do not look so bad after all.

Head to the places from where the collapse originates? That could only possibly be seen as a good idea because the market has traded in the dollar's favor for a few months. Can anyone argue that that is likely to continue??

I'm not convinced, so my safe haven is no country: it is gold and silver.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
anyone?

anyone?

join