It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a Nuke in the Canary Islands Destroy NY?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
This is the pet theory of a guy named Tim Rifat, a Brit who is on the Rense show once in a while.

He claims that the russians have this as a contingency plan if the States get uppity.

In the same vein he reckons a nuke in Yellowstone could wipe out the midwest.

I have heard that the resulting tsunami from a worst case event in the Canary Islands Would wipe out the entire east coast and much of England as well.

Any weapons experts want to comment?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm not an expert on anything, just a guy having a look around. If you like, I can tell you what I think of this...

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Yellowstone and its underlying caldera could wipe out the Midwest, with or without a nuclear trigger.

[edit on 11/27/2008 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by 1rked44

Sure. Have a go.

Seems possible doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I agree it seems possible. That's a very large gray area to go into though. I recall seeing this before in articles, and quickly found this:

archives.cnn.com...

There is a lot of speculation on this, including a web bot prediction that fits this profile, although I'm very likely stretching things. This could be a natural event, and while it's conceivable a thermonuclear device could trigger such an event, the factors involved are so numerous that placing such a device in precisely the right place to do so is likely improbable.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by marsha law

I'm not expert either but I don't find this very plausible. In order to have this work you would need to have the nuke go off fairly deep to create the tremor your looking for and then you would need to hope it would create a tsunami after it. Getting it to cause the tsunami would be fairly hard, evidence of that is we had a huge earthquake this week in Indonesia but it didn't cause a tsunami like the last huge 1 before it.

The next problem I see with this is that the fault line they would be effecting doesn't go to NY, it is in the middle of the ocean ( that's why they call it the mid Atlantic ridge).

All of this seems much harder then just getting the nuke to NY in the first place.

Again I'm not an expert I just play one on the internet.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
but if the russians do this to harm a naughty US, then why would they also wipe out half of europe?
cause that's what happens if you bomb the islands.

the big war is right around the corner!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GondelleX

Well, most of the countries of Europe are basically heavily under the influence of the US so maybe they do not really see a significant difference, strategically speaking? More like a bonus?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I actually suggested that scenario in a post from August 2nd:

Mega tsunami to hit USA?!, page 4

It could happen without a nuke too, but a small nuke can probably trigger it.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Yes the experts do say that a landslide in the Canary Islands Could cause a wave from 1000 to 3000 ft high, and it travels at around 600MPH.

Like 1rked44 mentioned, It would have to placed just right.
I would be more concerned with some of the worlds suicidal extremist, they just don't care.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
not to be the one to downplay things or be a party pooper

but

wouldnt a nuke anywhere kinda ruin things?

i mean honestly does it matter if its in the canary islands or middle of manhattan?

does it matter if its in the middle of yellowstone at old faithful or the middle of montana?

either way things arent going to end pretty

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

A mega tsunami or a mega volcanic eruption would prove far more destructive than any single warhead alone.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
yes - it is theoretically POSSIBLE that a thermonuclear war head COULD cause enough movement to send the POTENTIALLY unstable flank of the island crashing into the sea , which MIGHT cause a tsunami

but there are multiple flaws in the plan - the stability of the island is only theoretical - there is no garuntee that any resaonable force would cause the mountain to split

even if it did split - a tsunami is not assured

even if a tsunami did form - the USA would have over 5 hours warning - and would launch everything they had

doesnt look like a very good plan does it ???

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The odds of triggering anything that catastrophic are highly dubious in my opinion why not just drop the bombs directly on NY and LA and get the whole end of the world scenario thing going in one fell swoop.

Even with the best results from the theory posted the US would still have a hell of a lot of Nuclear firepower to pulverize Russia yeah lets do it!

Drop the bomb!
Twice!

[edit on 27-11-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
All you guys saying why not drop a nuke right in the middle of NY are forgetting one thing.

DENIABILITY!

Hitting NY with a nuke would most likely involve some sort of missle system, which could easily be traced back to a russian silo or sub. But by going the tsunami route they can deny it was them all day long. Whos to say it wasn't a crackpot plan carried out by some radical muslims?

We all know the US won't nuke russia because we THINK they did it. It would take time to prove, which would allow russia to launch additional strikes on more critical locations and strip the US of its ability to retalliate.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by marsha law
This is the pet theory of a guy named Tim Rifat, a Brit who is on the Rense show once in a while.

He claims that the russians have this as a contingency plan if the States get uppity.

In the same vein he reckons a nuke in Yellowstone could wipe out the midwest.

I have heard that the resulting tsunami from a worst case event in the Canary Islands Would wipe out the entire east coast and much of England as well.

Any weapons experts want to comment?

this dude i know from dallas, he is the black haired dude from the nuke cannon movie on youtube. he keeps a bomb with him everywhere he goes so the cops dont disrupt his drug cartel. he is like dateing all the supermodels and stuff. i would get radiation sickness from even being around the a bomb.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yellowstone would be a world wide event, not just a midwest problem. It's a super volcano, not a Mt. St. Helen type event.

A nuclear bomb going off just may cause enough stress to be pushed down several kilometers and affect the lava pocket. You'd never be able to drill a hole and then plant a bomb within the area. Too many people would see it happening. So now you are talking about a megaton bomb. This just lends to a launched missile which brings into focus a retaliation from the US.

As for the land slide theory, interesting. A bomb properly placed within the mountain not large enough to blast the side out but strong enough to make it slide. I have to agree with ignorant_ape on this one. Too many problems....

new topics

top topics

join