It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

un tapped oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
The demands for petrocarbons is increasing every day so new holes are being drilled evey day. Basic supply and demand i know but have you ever thought about depleation? You can only drill so many wells in one BLM approved field before the depletion rate increase amd affects the amount of extractable oil. So what happens, many wells are drilled to maintain what only a few were able to produce. Solution. less wells more spread out and not confined to "area/field drilling" (as happens all over the U.S.A) and remove the ban on of shore drilling.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Drilling more holes in the ground wont solve anything when you dont have the refineries to produce the fuel from the extra holes.

Besides....isnt it time to find more modern ways to power our world???

I can think of one way right off, and it is in abundance and produces NO pollution.

HYDROGEN.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I agree with removing the ban on offshore drilling, and I believe we should open more areas in the US to drilling. I saw a show the other day talking about horizontal drilling techniques that some of the larger oil exploration companies are using. It allows them to extract ALL the oil from a deposit, rather than just a portion as comes with normal drilling.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Drilling more holes in the ground wont solve anything when you dont have the refineries to produce the fuel from the extra holes.

Besides....isnt it time to find more modern ways to power our world???

I can think of one way right off, and it is in abundance and produces NO pollution.

HYDROGEN.

Cheers!!!!

Yes, Hydrogen would be nice, and they have some hydrogen cars already....but they will NEVER be affordable to joe public. Wind energy needs to be used more than it currently is, but it is expensive to implement. So yes, there are alternative ways to produce energy, but they are more costly than what we are already doing. Some of the big oil companies need to build new and updated refineries as well.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
well if your talking about alternative energy sources how about geo thermal power, i mean there is a super volcano in the central united states

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
GeoThermal energy would be another alternative, they would just have to figure out how to get it to the market.....not everyone lives near a volcano! LOL...

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
well one thought would be to have multiple geothermal power plant located in the yellow stone region to provide power as the neuclear plants do now, or simply drill to depths wear the tempature can turn water into steam place it by a river( water is feed in, drops down the hole steam comes up powers tourbine) bobs your uncle and you have some power.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Hydrogen does not occur in abundance. Chemical compounds containing hydrogen, such as water, occur in abundance. What is necessary is an source of reducing electrons to split the water into hydrogen and oxygen. There is a significant energy penalty to pay with hydrogen generation.

Hydrogen is an energy carrier with many problems associated with its generation, storage, distribution, and use. Better choices may be ultracapacitors, batteries, flywheels, and liquid fuels made from hydrogen and atmospheric carbon dioxide.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by aginstitall
The demands for petrocarbons is increasing every day so new holes are being drilled evey day. Basic supply and demand i know but have you ever thought about depleation? You can only drill so many wells in one BLM approved field before the depletion rate increase amd affects the amount of extractable oil. So what happens, many wells are drilled to maintain what only a few were able to produce. Solution. less wells more spread out and not confined to "area/field drilling" (as happens all over the U.S.A) and remove the ban on of shore drilling.

Hi, you drill more wells in a field if the original spacing isn't draining the field sufficiently. One well will only drain from 40-120 acres of "field", depending on permeability and porosity. So if your spacing is one well every 120 acres you are hoping that, the spacing is going to allow you drain the most amount of oil or gas with the minimum numbers of wells drilled. If you later determine that you are not draining your field completely you go back in and either drill directionally or reduce the spacing.

The ban on off-shore drilling was lifted last year but will likely be re-imposed once the Obama admin. is up and running. And yes we need to be drilling as many wells as fast as we can.

Hope that explains things a little better for you.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
On another note: Geothermal in the past 3 years has been blowing up in the U.S. Tons of Geothermal wells being drilled in southern and central California and Nevada right now.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The MIT energy study recommended geothermal. This is not a bad option if you are near plate boundaries or hot spots. If you are not, you'll have to drill very deep or use a different working fluid than water.
Whatever is used, it will take many decades too make the transition from what we have now to what we'll have then.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by aginstitall
well if your talking about alternative energy sources how about geo thermal power, i mean there is a super volcano in the central united states

Just try to drill a geothermal well in Yellowstone national park. NEVER HAPPEN

you could not even find a gov agency that would take the paperwork without laughing you out the front door.

there are only a limited number of geothermal hot spots in the US and about Half are off limits to drilling.

new topics

top topics

join