It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Microbe May Play Important Role In Ocean Ecology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Our civilization sent its probes out of Solar System, there are huge amounts of money going into space research. And it is good, it is needed.
But there is another "final frontier", much closer and more important (for now, at least).

An unusual microorganism discovered in the open ocean may force scientists to rethink their understanding of how carbon and nitrogen cycle through ocean ecosystems.

www.sciencedaily.com...
Now i do not bash scientist - they are brightest people we got. But how come we hear about predictions on global ecosphere and even climate when there is wet abyss that is not really researched. And it affects what happens on this planet at least as us, puny humans. Far more biomass is over there then here. So if this group finds now a cyanobacteria (well, i know that they found only DNA so it is not concrete 100 percent, but it was definitely enough to publish an article and put reputation at stake) that plays supposedly huge role, there definitely might be other organisms that heavily influence the environment and are not known yet.
It certainly does not mean that we do not need to change our messy foolish treatment of environment. But at least some decency in making claims on basis of some parts of huge puzzle should be maintained.
My opinion, could be wrong. Not microbiologist. Nor George Costanza.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

that plays supposedly huge role, there definitely might be other organisms that heavily influence the environment and are not known yet.
It certainly does not mean that we do not need to change our messy foolish treatment of environment. But at least some decency in making claims on basis of some parts of huge puzzle should be maintained.

we know the ones(well probabily not all but) of the organisms that absorb carbon from the atmosphere

plants are the lil devils, the oceans algae absorbs the vast majority of the carbon dioxide

we can calculate roughly how much algae there is and how much carbon it can absorb the same with land based plant matter

the more we screw up the oceans the less algae the more carbondioxide in the atmosphere the more global warming (even though carbon isnt that high on the list of dangerous greenhouse gasses anyway)

so we can reasonably map out what may happen based on future estimates (some of these vary madly though but thats another topic)

if your hoping we suddenly find a new organism and finding it totally reverses whats called global warming .... nope sorry its already there discovering it wont help any if the models and predictions are accurate

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well but the whole point was that this little dude that does not have photosyntheses capability - kind of connected with CO2 cycle,don't you think - is actually present in large enough amounts to "rethink .... how carbon and nitrogen cycle through ocean ecosystems". It is part of ocean biomass that was supposed to do X, but apparently does Y. So in scientific prediction based on X values only ,result Z will be different from correct one. And i cannot understand how we know all living creatures,especially tiny ones that make for majority of mass, in oceans if on land new mammals are being found even now. Statistical assumption is not good enough - as this case shows. Probably.
Have no argument about our pollution and its disastrous consequences ,in ocean and on land. Have doubt in complete authority of human- originating- CO2 connected global warming theory. Hockey graph follows the change in CO2 levels, does not precede it. And no other proof is present, as far as i know.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Well but the whole point was that this little dude that does not have photosyntheses capability - kind of connected with CO2 cycle,don't you think - is actually present in large enough amounts to "rethink .... how carbon and nitrogen cycle through ocean ecosystems".

it doesnt photosyntheise so doesnt absorb green houses(co2) gasses from the atmosphere

but does absorb and fix nitrogen into a usable source which the algae that absorbs co2 needs

it changes our understaning of how nitrogen enters the oceans but not the amount of co2 absorbed

It is part of ocean biomass that was supposed to do X, but apparently does Y. So in scientific prediction based on X values only ,result Z will be different from correct one.
the fact it is a unknown organism doesnt change it, if it was originally included in the biomass figures the fact it doesnt absorb co2 would make Z a much worse answer

And i cannot understand how we know all living creatures,especially tiny ones that make for majority of mass, in oceans if on land new mammals are being found even now.
we dont, its an ongoing process like everything in science

Statistical assumption is not good enough
we can work out roughly how much plant matter there is and how much co2 it absorbs, it may not be good enough(science is always learning more so it will be good enough) to acuratley predict 100% theres a fair amount of best guess work in global warming models so they may end up being too extreme or not extreme enough, but we do know the earth cant absorb as much co2 as it could(we killed lots of plant life) and we are producing more all the time and its staying up there in the atmoshpere for longer (airquality testing so not statistical analysis)

Have no argument about our pollution and its disastrous consequences ,in ocean and on land. Have doubt in complete authority of human- originating- CO2 connected global warming theory. Hockey graph follows the change in CO2 levels, does not precede it. And no other proof is present, as far as i know.
i have some argument with what were bieng told

many scientists argue we are not the casue its a natural thing we are just giving it a push along to get there quicker

right now we are in the middle of the most stable period of earth weather on record(10,000 years worth) but its changing fast and when it does its never a pretty thing

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Our civilization sent its probes out of Solar System, there are huge amounts of money going into space research. And it is good, it is needed.
But there is another "final frontier", much closer and more important (for now, at least).

An unusual microorganism discovered in the open ocean may force scientists to rethink their understanding of how carbon and nitrogen cycle through ocean ecosystems.

www.sciencedaily.com...
Now i do not bash scientist - they are brightest people we got. But how come we hear about predictions on global ecosphere and even climate when there is wet abyss that is not really researched. And it affects what happens on this planet at least as us, puny humans. Far more biomass is over there then here. So if this group finds now a cyanobacteria (well, i know that they found only DNA so it is not concrete 100 percent, but it was definitely enough to publish an article and put reputation at stake) that plays supposedly huge role, there definitely might be other organisms that heavily influence the environment and are not known yet.

I agree with you that there are things that will blow our minds in the depths of the ocean. It is considered one of the final frontiers remaining on the surface of the earth. I, like you, believe just as much should go into exploration of the oceans as space. However, I think ocean exploration is on the back burner in terms of space exploration, why that is; I can't answer that? Maybe space agencies have more clout in terms of receiving grant money for experiments and development?

However, I do believe the ocean plays a large role in the climate change we are experiencing at the moment.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Ocean ecology is the scientific study of the effects that man and technology are having on the oceans. The world's oceans represent our planet's largest potential wild realm–there are still many areas of the deep ocean that have never been seen, explored, or fully mapped by humans.
Free database of eco friendly companies.

edit on 24-5-2011 by DenieDark because: (no reason given)

top topics

join