It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Office of Vice President Officially Redefined [Must Read]!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Are any of you familiar with the Plum Book? Well, it defines the federal offices and who's in them. Of course, Barack Obama hasn't appointed anyone yet so it just defines each office.

So guess what it said about the vice presidency?

The Vice Presidency is a unique office that is neither a part of the executive branch nor a part of the legislative branch, but is attached by the Constitution to the latter. The Vice Presidency performs functions in both the legislative branch (see article I, section 3 of the Constitution) and in the executive branch (see article II, and amendments XII and XXV, of the Constitution, and section 106 of title 3 of the United States Code).

The annual legislative branch appropriations act (see, for example, Public Law 109–55) and the annual transportation-treasury appropriations act (see, for example, Public Law 109–115) provide funds for the Vice President to hire employees to assist him in carrying out his legislative and executive functions...

...The salaries of Vice Presidential employees whose salary comes from the Vice President’s
executive appropriation also cannot exceed a maximum specified by law (see 3 U.S.C. 106). The authority
to appoint, administratively determine the pay of, and discharge Vice Presidential employees rests
with the Vice President.

Am I reading this wrong or does the fact that this office is supposedly part of the legislative branch mean that the vice president can make his own laws without congress's approval? And is it saying that it's not really a government or White House position at all? Help me out here guys.

Office of Vice President

Plum Book

[edit on 13-11-2008 by Shocka]
Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/13/2008 by Gools]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The Vice President is in a unique position, he works in the White House, but can not be fired by the President becuase he is elected by the People. Additionally, the Vice President is the President of the Senate. It's a very interesting and truly American position.

- Boat

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I think it's referring to the fact that if there is a tie vote in the Senate then the Vice President gets to vote.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The office of the vice presidency was always defined as a part of the executive branch and yes they break ties for the senate but this is defining the office of the vice president as neither executive or legislative. That's new right?

new topics

top topics

join