It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What truth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
When people say the truth is out there what truth is out there? What is truth? May I ask what if everything we've ever known or anything anyone ever known for that matter was a complete lie?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
There is no truth mate. It's like the Platonic cave where we're all bound to look at the walls in front of us only. We cannot see the fire, only the shadows. So we get our interpretation of reality. Technically, that is a lie.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
When people say the truth is out there what truth is out there? What is truth? May I ask what if everything we've ever known or anything anyone ever known for that matter was a complete lie?

TRUTH like REALITY is subjective, as I see it...one person's truth is another's lie and vis versa....

hehe...like the question, though

~Holly

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The truth is the spoon.

There is no spoon.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As others alluded to, this question has a long history in philosophy.

From Socrates to Descartes and beyond, we have been pondering this question for ages. The "truth" is that the truth is whatever you want it to be. The only problem comes when you meet somebody else who has a different idea about the truth.

Yes, it is subjective. Yes, like Descartes, a method of doubt is a healthy starting place. Ultimately you come to the conclusion that you have your truth, your reality, and I have mine. There may be a single truth, as we are told in the Vedas that "truth is one - the sages speak of it by many names." At best, we all see the Truth (capital T) with a different lens, which is our personal truth (lowercase t). At worst, there is no Truth, and only a series of individual truths that really don't have any relevance other than to you and your own experience.

If enough people are on the same wavelength of a given truth, more people will be attracted to it, and so we might say that this becomes more of a commonly-acknowledged truth. The Earth is roughly spherical. This is a truth that enough people have come to believe, so we think of it as true. UFOs may or be not be alien spacecraft. Not enough people have come to believe this as true, so it is not thought of as true yet.

But that's just my truth. You have yours, and don't worry about other people's truths.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
"It is better to believe than to disbelieve." -Albert Einstein

How can it be true that truth doesn't exist? How could I exist if truth did not exist? If in the beginning (theoretically speaking) there existed nothing (no God or whatever causes bangs) than nothing could exist today. And if you believe in alternate realities or multiple dimensions you could argue that perhaps in the beginning there were two, one with existance and the other without...but in TRUTH you would still be wrong because once something is created no matter what dimension or reality than nothing ceases to exist. So I believe that the truth does exist since there truly is existance. The truth is what is. If something is not, then it isn't the truth. Even in many lies there is truth.

top topics

join