It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disgraced Ted Haggard says He Was Abused As A Child

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Disgraced Ted Haggard says He Was Abused As A Child

www.thedenverchannel.com

[Pastor Haggard] told the congregation at Open Bible Fellowship Church in Morrison, Ill., that he was sexually abused as a child, when he was in second grade.

"My dad was pretty successful. He had a lot of workers. One of those workers had a sexual experience with me. I was 7 years old," Haggard said.

Haggard said the experience haunted him all of his life and drove him to the "dark and repulsive" side.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hmmm.

If Pastor Ted was actually abused as a child, t hen I feel very, very badly for him.

However, with the level of outright lies he's already told concerning this scandal, I'm dubious that this is anything more than him trying to save face. (I lived in the Springs when this story broke, I heard a lot more juicyness than what hit the MSM papers
)

When confronted for genetic evidence for Homosexuality I'm sure Haggard would say something along the lines of "It might be genetic but one still chooses whether or not act on the compulsion," yet here he is saying that his abuse "drove" him to commit sexual immoralty.

That's a whacked argument if I ever heard one. I wish he would either admit that being gay is out of one's control, or admit that he intentionally chose to do what he did.

On a side note, I had no idea Haggard was preaching again.

www.thedenverchannel.com

www.lcsun-news.com...

www.wgntv.com...

[edit on 12-11-2008 by asmeone2]

[edit on 12-11-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

So...he was abused sexually as a child, if true; I'm truely sorry for him. No one should have that happen to them.

but how does that excuse him? Wrong is still wrong, right is still right. Many another victim of abuse doesn't go to "the dark and repulsive side", though it's true enough that many sexual predators are indeed victims of abuse.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

That's an iffy defense even for a predator, but I think both Haggard and Mike Jones both admitted it was a consensual adult relatioship.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yeah, Mark Foley has played that tune as well, as if it excuses someone’s actions. If you are truly regretful and want to be truly forgiven by people then don’t BS them, and don’t make excuses for your actions.

I think if that happened to him that it is terrible, but he needs to accept his actions are his own.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

I remember he was apparently "cured" of homosexuality by James Dobson and a few other bigwigs in a couple of weeks. Like, whatever.

I would have had such respect for him if he'd just come out and said he was gay or bisexual.

top topics

join