It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Chestnut Tree Cafe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
If you're ever passing through Plymouth, Devon, UK, I hope you can find some time to visit The Chestnut Tree Cafe.

I was rather surprised and impressed when I discovered this cafe. The 1984 slogans deliberately emblazoned all over the place was an eye opener and I was considerably pleased to see a 'revolt' in action

If you've read George Orwells 1984, then you'll know where the name of this cafe comes from. If not, then I highly recommend you read it as son as you can.

Regula meetings and events take place, in particular a 'cult movie night'. Any film which has gained some form of cult following will be aired inside the cafe using the projection kit they have set up. I managed to catch the first part of The Beauty and the Beast, which was in French and in black and white (can't remember name of director or anything).

If you are in the area, you might notice these signs;

So the location of the cafe is quite appropriate

Just don't forget what you're really supposed to believe

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ha! sounds great, haven't been to plymouth in years.

Will definately check this place out if I get there again.

"double-good".

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
lol, better get your rear over here then

nice to hear from you.

I was in there last night actually, they've got a new display going on. There was some experiment done way back in the 1940's that used a record player, a tube with various holes cut in it and a lightbulb.
The tube turns around the light bulb via the record player.

So this guy recreated it and they let him set it up in the cafe..
which is a really nice thing to do.

join