It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory Marriage - Why Not?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I can agree with that. If they are so intent to want it called a marriage they really need to be punched in the face a few times. Civil Union is the same thing, it should be good enough...

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
To play devil's advocate, most of us think of marriage for the sake of love, but in some places it is use to bind different families together in order to become stronger.

Yeah, like the British royals, European royalty and big money/power families in this country.
No one should force marriage on another.
Land of the free...home of the brave...remember that???????

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I have been married to the same woman for almost 25 years, longer than a lot of you have been alive, and there is nothing that gays or the government or ANYONE else can do to cheapen what we have.

If two adults can find happeness togather more power to them.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
I can agree with that. If they are so intent to want it called a marriage they really need to be punched in the face a few times. Civil Union is the same thing, it should be good enough...

I'm not sure about the punch in the face thing......maybe smacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper...but I got the point

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If all we can do now is bitch and moan about who's right it is to get married and who's it isn't, let's just call the whole thing off once and for all. That way no one can complain anymore.

We want to act like children, well then let's treat ourselves like children and take away our own privileges. That'll teach us.

NO MARRIAGE FOR YOU! -- ONE YEAR!!!

Then that way, when we finally let ourselves out of our rooms, after we've though good and hard about what we've done, we can apologize and go outside and play.

With ourselves, with each other, hell, with anything we want to!

Everybody's favorite TV Game Show Host,
Guy Smiley

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I have been married to the same woman for almost 25 years, longer than a lot of you have been alive, and there is nothing that gays or the government or ANYONE else can do to cheapen what we have.

Ya....but you're gonna get the short end of the stick when you go to the "married couples only" swingers club...now aren't ya?

**please note that I am in no way implying that you or Mrs. Amuk are swingers....I just thought it was funny**

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
"Gay people are evil. Evil right down to their cold, black hearts, which pump not blood like yours and mine, but rather a thick, vomitous oil that oozes through their rotten veins and clots in their pea sized brains, which becomes the cause of their nazi-esque patterns of violent behavior." � Mr. Garrison

See, what did I say?

Guy Smiley

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus

Ya....but you're gonna get the short end of the stick when you go to the "married couples only" swingers club...now aren't ya?

**please note that I am in no way implying that you or Mrs. Amuk are swingers....I just thought it was funny**

Swingers?

Hardly, just a boring faithfully, happily married couple

I just dont see what anyone else can do to threaten our marrige

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

just a boring faithfully, happily married couple

I just dont see what anyone else can do to threaten our marrige

Well.....I too happen to adore my boring, faithful, happy "Marriage" of 15 years. I don't feel threatened by this nonsense either......But I'll be damned if the opinion of the minority is going to change something I (and the MAJORITY) hold sacred and traditional.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

DOES US STILL HAVE THESE PEOPLE?

This is good news I am not the only one!

its supposed to be:

marriage-sex-baby

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by Russian]

This was one of the reasons for my original post, Russian. People use children as one of the reasons for opposing same-sex marriage, but do not want to fill out the equation when it happens to be sex-baby-___?___.

I personally think that the relationship between two consenting adults is nobodys business but their own, tho I do draw the line at consanguine relationships. All I say is that, either believe in it the whole way, or stop using it as an excuse for denying same-sex marriages. Don't be a hypocrite, you can't have it both ways (doesn't apply to you - I'm just clarifying my point). I am amazed how few people were able to get that point.

john

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You didnt say this?

So, I propose that we hold those people to their word. I propose the concept of MANDATORY MARRIAGE for relationships that produce offspring. If you make a baby, you get married. If you're already married and make a baby, you pay a heavy fine. Do it again, you get jail time.
[/quote

Oh believe me sir i read enough to get it, and by the way when you tell someone you are too damn stupid to realize the difference, stop and think about it, you are propsing marriages for people who have babies when in fact you have children and you are no longer married, sounds like you or your ex should be in jail if your proposal was law

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Dudes, I still think it's funny that a divorced guy even brought up the idea of madatory marriage.

As far as gay marriage is concerned, it is not really possible.

They are allowed the recognition and the associated rights, but there is nowhere that it says that marriage (a term that has no need to be redefined to fulfill these rights) should include them.

No, it would not really affect married people in a direct way. Never the less, Even though religion is halfway removed from government, it should still be respected as it stands.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
And you're too damn stupid to see the difference.
john

you know what, you can call me stupid all you want, but im not the one who started a post about Maniditory Marriage, who is DIVORCED !! need i say more?

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Thanks for copying me sarah.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by smilingsarah82

you know what, you can call me stupid all you want, but im not the one who started a post about Maniditory Marriage, who is DIVORCED !! need i say more?

And so someone who has lost his job isn't qualified to talk about employment. Or a Viet Nam vet has no right to talk about war.

See what I mean, princess? You missed the original point by such a wide margin that I don't expect you to grasp anything more complicated than what color to paint your nails today.

john

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Thanks for copying me sarah.

lol, sorry, just trying to make a point about something i posted earlier.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

And so someone who has lost his job isn't qualified to talk about employment. Or a Viet Nam vet has no right to talk about war.

john

You're missing the point John. You SCREWED UP your marriage and that is no ones fault but yours. It's just funny that someone who couldn't hold it together is talking about making it manditory. The only way that would work is if they outlawed divorce, otherwise we would have a 97% divorce rate.

(unless your wife just jumped ship on you, then nevermind the above sarcasm. Reading it now, it sounds a lot nastier than I mean it, so don't take it badly)

We still love you man

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

See what I mean, princess? You missed the original point by such a wide margin that I don't expect you to grasp anything more complicated than what color to paint your nails today.
john

so you think that all i care about is my nail color huh?!?!? well let me tell you something, i don't paint my nails, or give a crap about that kind of stuff. i am not a materialistic person, never have been never will be. for you to label me as someone like that is very foolish. I can grasp alot more than you may think!!! and I didn't miss your point at all, you are making a statement about manditory marriage, and how the parents of children should be forced into marriage, yet you go and divorce your wife.
some examples

My main point here is to use what sounds like a ridiculous idea to knock down opposition to same-sex marriage. It also serves to hold people responsible for their actions; we have too many kids being raised on the street or by single mothers.

yes you may be trying to knock down same sex marriages, but my point being that you want to hold people responsible for thier actions. Didn't you make children?? you left your ex-wife. in your situation, i don't know who has the kids, but either way its a single parent. by your philosiphy of manditory marriage, you should have been forced to stay with your ex wife because of the children

I think that a kid raised by two loving parents will thrive regardless of the parents gender. As I said, gays are human and to deny them the benefits of marriage is less than human, IMO.

now wait just one f*ing minute, didn't you say you were against same sex marriages, here your saying you don't want to deny them the benefits of marriage, but the whole topic of this post is supposed to be against same sex marriage, and for manditory marriage.

now why do you think i called you a hypocrite???? well the examples above, make that very easy to see. your a DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO type of person. You think that everything you say is right, and that someone like me, who questions it, is nothing more than some blonde-haired, blue-eyed, cheerleader, ingnorant priss, who can't grasp the concept of anything harder than her nail color.

now if i were that type of person, why would i even be registered to this type of board. ATS's slogan is to DENY IGNORANCE. don't you think that i would register somewhere where they disscused nail color all day long??? i mean come on. if you don't like what i have to say, tough SH*T.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Nah, the way to fix all this is to outlaw all marriages and make current marriages null..you can start with mine.

Edited because of the spelling thing again....

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by astrocreep]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Mandatory marriage? Ridiculous. Just what we need, the government forcing themselves into yet another aspect of private life. Accidents & rapes happen, too, and what about cases like the one where a girl gets pregnant by her father and suchlike? Sorry to say this, but the concept of mandatory marriage based on offspring would be merely another attempt to legislate Christian morality, and that is something we have too much of already.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join