It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twenty die on Russian submarine

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here's a long read it show the U.S. Lying in "official" press releases about never having a CBG sunk by Electric subs, (the kinds Russia has)
www.transasianaxis.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

So, what you're saying is, that 40 people spontaneously came back to life on board a non-Russian aircraft?

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Instead of typing all i did i should have just insisted that one does not have to be badly trained, working on badly designed or constructed submarines ( as the Russians one's are so frequently called ) or generally incompetent for people to get injured and or worse. Verbosity does have benefits but you do stand the risk of losing the audience.

EDIT: And to prove that i can't seem to stop myself....

I should add that for a navy that operated two or three times as many submarines as the USN for most of the cold war, and then normally with a a badly strained support infrastructure, ( the USSR kept boats in service much longer in the 80's expecting a war for all the reasons i have previously stated) their safety record is not as bad as operating generally older boats might at first suggest.

Stellar

[edit on 11-11-2008 by StellarX]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If it was Halon, the question is, why couldn't they exit the space? Did the watertight doors close automatically? Shouldn't there have been alarms sounding between activation of the system and discharge of the Halon? A lot of questions here. Very sorry to hear of this tragic loss of life.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by StellarX

Until more details emerge (if they ever do), it absolutely impossible to attribute this incident to bad training, faulty equipment, bad design, poor operational safety or human error or any combination thereof. There are just too many variables in this scenario.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Not much more info has been imparted on this since it occurred more than a couple days ago.

In talking to a couple of ex-submariners I know, a couple of things were pointed out to me.

Freon gas is used by the chillers to make cold water. I didn't know submarines had little chillers on them, but apparently they do. Freon will kill by suffocation as it is heavier than air, it will displace oxygen.

Submarines don't have fire suppression systems on them. The atmosphere is kept artificially low in oxygen because of the shift they work and artificial time they keep. If there is a fire, water tight doors are closed and the fire will die, so will the submariners in the area, but they know this.

There may be a suppression system in the reactor area, but that is classified. No one would confirm that.

The Russian sub had a freon leak in the bow, reactor is in aft. Someone in the press reports is either citing dis-information or the Ruskies are just plain lying.

Anyone have more info on this incident.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

I agree with Oxillini...it is impossible for us to speculate or attribute as to exactly what went on or did not go on in this incident..or tragedy.

hinky,

I didn't know submarines had little chillers on them, but apparently they do.

Ok!!

Submarines don't have fire suppression systems on them. The atmosphere is kept artificially low in oxygen because of the shift they work and artificial time they keep.

This is a strange statement Hinky. To my limited knowledge on any ship or boat...fire is a very dangerous enemy...anytime ..period. I am certain that if they have anything it is a fire extinguisher or extinguishers strategically placed. One of the most fire prone areas on a ship would be a galley. This is particularly true if you have a hot oil cooker or what we call a deep fat/vat fryer. Hot thin oil is easily prone to fire under the right conditions.

Also if you know anything about the construction/design of any ship or boat...the galley/dining area is an area where large groups of people can meet or hold meetings...even when dining is not going on. Meetings and briefings...as one has tables etc for briefing materials. A runaway fire system here near the galley can become tragic quickly if the people cannot get out or away. The key here is asking yourself ..what kinds of compartments can handle normally twenty people or more...in one space??

While this is not ironclad proof...as Oxillini was clearly stating...it is a concept up for consideration if one knows these thinkings or processes. What kind of areas or spaces on such a boat would accomodate 20 people in one area...remember on such a boat...such spaces would be at a premium.

There may be a suppression system in the reactor area, but that is classified. No one would confirm that.

And neither will I.

The Russian sub had a freon leak in the bow, reactor is in aft. Someone in the press reports is either citing dis-information or the Ruskies are just plain lying

I wouldnt go so far as to state the Russians are lying or even dis info on this. Even our own Navy can be tight lipped about certain things and unless one is privy to or experienced in the trades...you would have no reason to know or even suspect.
What the Russians have an history of doing it to not be so forthcoming about these things. However...our own Navy will do just precisely the same..if needed.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 12-11-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
news.brisbanetimes.com.au...

Sailor charged in deadly Russian nuclear sub accident: inquiry

A sailor has been charged for setting off the fire extinguishing system on the Russian nuclear submarine Nerpa, causing 20 people to suffocate to death, investigators told news agencies on Thursday.

"The inquiry has established that a member of the crew, a sailor, set off the anti-fire system on board the submarine, without authorization and for no reason," investigator Vladimir Markin was quoted as saying by RIA-Novosti.

"This sailor has already admitted his error," said Markin, a spokesman for the inquiry panel looking into Saturday's deadly accident in the Sea of Japan that raised new doubts about the safety of Russian military hardware.

fast - i suspect a number of the survivors might have said something.....

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
A large number of the deaths may have been caused by defective gas masks. The sailor who set off the anti-fire system, faces seven years in prison.

AFP: Sailor charged in deadly Russian nuclear sub accident: inquiry

13/11/2008

The sailor faces a maximum sentence of seven years in prison for his role in the incident, which killed 20 people and led to the hospitalization of 21 others, RIA Novosti said.

[---]

Defective gas masks may have been responsible for a large number of the deaths aboard the Nerpa, the Russian tabloid Tvoi Den reported, citing survivors.

[---]

"Some of the dead were found with their gas masks on. The breathing apparatuses simply didn't work," another survivor, Dmitry Usachyov, was quoted as saying by Tvoi Den.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join