It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minors Getting Sentanced To Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I wrote this small report for school and thought i'd share it :

I am against the death penalty in its self, let alone,

execution of minors. It's just plain wrong. They are just

minors, they probably don't understand the severity of

what they did. Look at this fact...America is the only

country in the world that still executes minors.

What does that tell you?

Almost 73 minors are on Death Row this year. Lawyers

that oppose the death penalty will argue that the

national consensus is against it. This approach inspired

the supreme court to outlaw the execution of the

mentally handicap.

Think about this, If one kills another, and you sentance

that person to death, you commiting the same crime

your punishing the other person for.

In conclusion, I think these minors need rehabilitation

rather than having them killed.

[Edited on 3-30-2004 by theshadowknows]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm guessing that the only reason this is so is because some crimes that minors do the court will trial them as adults. Such as murder,etc.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
There are minors and minors. Some never had sex, no job and have a narrowed view of the world. Prolly they get bullied every day as well - those are minors that should be protected as they are real minors.

Others are only minors by age. So like 18(I guess you are talking about the US system where you are a minor till 21. In EU countries it is nearly everywhere 18 but I am sticking to yours) year old but in job for 2 years, a girlfriend since 3 years - maybe even his own car and flat.
Are those the minors that need protection? No way. They are fully integrated into live and society and need to face law as every other citizen as they favour of society as all others do.

"America is the only country in the world that still uses the death penalty." - fairy tale

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by shoo
"America is the only country in the world that still uses the death penalty." - fairy tale

I got that from my research. I didn't know if it was true and was hesiatant to post that part. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
Look at this fact...America is the only

country in the world that still uses the death penalty.

What does that tell you?

I don't mean to be a bitch n' all, criticizing your paper; but is this true? Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. Just this "fact" does not seem so factual.

*EDIT: I'm too slow

[Edited on 3-30-2004 by insite]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite

Look at this fact...America is the only

country in the world that still uses the death penalty.

What does that tell you?

I don't mean to be a bitch n' all, criticizing your paper; but is this true? Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. Just this "fact" does not seem so factual.

*EDIT: I'm too slow

[Edited on 3-30-2004 by insite]

Read above.

I think I may have read the fact wrong. Maybe it said america is the only one that executes minors.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I got that from my research. I didn't know if it was true and was hesiatant to post that part. Sorry.

No problem. Take a look here, quite intersting list:

web.amnesty.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
America isn't the only country in the world that has the death penalty. China executes 10,000 people a year. Even Dubya, when he was Governor of Texas, couldn't beat that.

asia.news.yahoo.com...

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
America isn't the only country in the world that has the death penalty.

Read above. This as already been taken care of.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
In some areas an am for the death penalty

Why should you be allowed to be killed by some one and they live the rest of their life?

If you are able to accept and acknowlege the actions that you have done (Such as muder) why should you be given a "lesser" punishment that the one that you have just done.

Not equal rights

If u are prepared to take an action then you should be prepared to take a reaction

Do on to others as you would have them do on to you

If you carnt take it, dont give it

Why should you have the "right" to take some ones life when they dont have the "right" to take yours

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
America isn't the only country in the world that has the death penalty.

Read above. This as already been taken care of.

True - different article though

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Here's some stats, off of the Bureau of Justice's website:

In 2002, 71 persons in 13 States were executed -- 33 in Texas; 7 in Oklahoma, 6 in Missouri; 4 each in Georgia and Virginia, 3 each in Florida, South Carolina, and Ohio; 2 each in Alabama, Mississippi, and North Carolina; and 1 each in Louisiana and California.

Of persons executed in 2002:
-- 53 were white
-- 18 were black

Of those executed in 2002:
-- 69 were men
-- 2 were women

Lethal injection accounted for 70 of the executions; 1 was carried out by electrocution.

Among persons for whom arrest information was available, the average age at time of arrest was 28; 2% of inmates were age 17 or younger.

At yearend, the youngest inmate under sentence of death was 18; the oldest was 87.

those last two facts are all i could find about age though.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Pisky: "America isn't the only country in the world that has the death penalty. China executes 10,000 people a year. Even Dubya, when he was Governor of Texas, couldn't beat that."

So true, so lets see if he can do it as president.

Do they have to be Americans?

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I am for the death penalty. I think some people are serial-killing freaks that need to be put out of their misery and cleaned out from society.

My dad worked in a prison, and prison life ISNT like the movies. They get tv with cable, computers with internet access, and better food than school systems; all free of charge.

However, death sentence on a youth? I think shoo has a good point about the real "minor" and the other kind of minor.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I agree with Illusion, but just wait til all the anti-DP people wake up and see what happens to this thread.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Shoo, your statement needs correction.

Minors in the US are 18 and udner, not 21. 21 is the legal age u can drink or own a handgun. But youre legally an adult at age 18. The drinking age used to vary state by state a few years back, until the legal drinking age was pushed nationwide to 21. In some states, youre an adult at age 16. But the maximum age for being a minor is 18. We have no states where 21 and under are minors.

That said, I dont oppose executing minors. I dont buy this crap "they are too young to understand". Thats bull#. Unless they are mentally retarded, they know damn well what they do. When I was 8 years old and killed a mouse by laying with it too hard, i knew I had caused death, and felt bad.

I remeber my own highschool years. WE knew damn well right and wrong, and that murder and such were wrong. Minors who commit these crimes have full knowldge of what they do like any adult. They make thier choice, and thus, should pay the price. Im not suckered in by the little "aw, poor cute little kid" mentality. It amazes me how people forget thier own childhoods and memories of how they felt back then.

So, executing minors is not wrong. If they are old enough to pick up the gun and deliberately pull the trigger, or stab, they should pay the same price as everyone else.

I am not against the death penalty. And, of course, as has been stated, were not the worst country to enforce it. The way people are executed in china and the middle east are creative, and well, downright brutal. At least we give em a quick shot or a whiff of gas, as opposed to beheading, dropped off cliffs, being drawn and quartered alive, ect.

new topics

top topics

join