It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British troops into the DR of Congo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This in interesting. It would appear that the E.U is willing to send in troops if the escalating problems in the DR Congo lead to an all-out conflict. This would mean the UK, as the standby nation on E.U missions, would contribute the majority of the troops. I have always admire Malloch-Brown who spoke of this on the BBC, Britain's Africa minister as he is never afriad to speak his mind.

It would appear this would be a last resort as Brown in the same Washington post article is sited as looking for a diplomatic solution and doesn't mention the miltary option. This country (The DR of Congo) has been wracked by such a bloody civil war that has claimed up to 5 million lives that you have to wonder if there is anything left to talk about? and that the presence of more foreign troops may be the only option

This is a positive development in my eyes. It seems to show that the E.U is not willing to let another Rwanda type incident occur. As always though it seems like it's the British willing to do the actual fighting within the E.U though, it would seem this time it is just sheer luck they are the standby nation. But as in Afghanistan the British like a challenge!

Can anyone see any other option to bringing about some sort of peace?

uk.news.yahoo.com...
www.washingtontimes.com...
www.asianage.com...

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Maybe the African Union would want to take a look at this as well, if they haven't already. I think that some sort of intervention into the DR Congo would be mandated under the circumstances, whether by the EU, AU, UN or in conjunction with all three. It certainly is a mess in the DR Congo, as it it in much of the third world.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Th AU seems to be pretty inept when it comes to dealing with these situations. Although it will not look good for Africa in the whole if they have to call upon their former colonial rulers to save The DR of Congo. I just hope something can be arranged where the sides put down their weapons and have a honest and frank chat....

join