It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin Fears Media Threaten Her First Amendment Rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Palin Fears Media Threaten Her First Amendment Rights

blogs.abcnews.com

ABC News' Steven Portnoy reports: In a conservative radio interview that aired in Washington, D.C. Friday morning, Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin said she fears her First Amendment rights may be threatened by "attacks" from reporters who suggest she is engaging in a negative campaign against Barack Obama.

Palin told WMAL-AM that her criticism of Obama's associations, like those with 1960s radical Bill Ayers and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, should not be considered negative attacks. Rather, for reporters or columnists to suggest that it is going negative may constitute an attack that threatens a candidate's free speech rights under the Constitution, Palin said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Then she obviously doesn't know what freedom of speech is all about.... more proof that she is totally unprepared to run the country if McCain became incapatated.

She has every right in the world to say what she wants about Obama, Wright and Ayers... no one is hindering that...

... At the same time those in the media as well as those outside of it have the right to say that those comments are attacks, or for that matter that they are right on the money.

Freedom of speech goes both ways and she obviously does not understand that.

blogs.abcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Well, there are investigations going on right now in to Democrats who used the government to look in to Joe, simply for disagreeing with Obama. I think Palin brings up a good point that anyone who disagrees with Obama, seems to get smeared and attacked not only by the media, but by democrats in the government.

She is right to speak out against about this. Americans are in trouble if Obama gets in with a media that will lie and smear for him.

Freedom of speech goes both ways and she obviously does not understand that.

Sooooo, why did you make this thread?

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Marcus Calpurnius]

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Exactly right. Palin's position here is entirely too reminiscent of the trend of wanting to protect only the rights of those in agreement.

In this example, Palin wants (and has) the right to attack Obama due to his associations (another guaranteed right, btw), but she does not want others to have the freedom to attack her on that position.

An important indication of the quality of a society is in how that society protects and guarantees the rights of those members who disagree with the power structure... or those who want to be in power.

And sadly, Palin is proving over and over again that she does not understand this, or if she understands it, will work to subvert it.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

I think its you guys who don't seem to understand. Why do you think its ok that the media lashes out with all of its power against those who speak against Obama? The media doesn't lash out at Obama or his surrogates for their attacks. Why are private citizens and Republicans attacked by the media when THEY launch an attack? Thats the difference your "open mind" cant seem to wrap around.

When you ave a media that is obviously in the tank for one candidate and uses that power to smear the opponent, there is a problem. I can see why you guys don't have a problem with that, as it puts you and your guy in a protect position. Do not sit here and wring your hands that Palin is speaking out against an oppressive media that protect democrats and smears Republicans.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Is obvious that for Mrs. Palin her first amendment rights are only one sided when they are used negatively against her.

Now she claims fowl play.

Well she needs to understand that when she became a Public figure and a political one at last she is to be scrutinized by no only the media but the America people as well.

I guess she is following VP cheney's shoes, when it comes to been a public figure.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well she needs to understand that when she became a Public figure and a political one at last she is to be scrutinized by no only the media but the America people as well

Yeah, too bad that only applies to one side. Not to mention a media that will attack family members and break the law in order to smear opponents of Democrats/Obama

Deny ignorance...lol....

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Marcus Calpurnius]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Jesus. Cry more. Honestly, if Hillary had whined as much as this, conservatives would have eaten her alive.

"Hide behind your apron strings" Palin?

Nope, won't hear those words spoken on Fox News.

She's lost her 1st amendment right because she's too dumb to know how to properly invoke it.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Conservatives are such crybabys.

Rush is Media, Sean is Media, Fox is Media, Savage is Media and they never miss an opportunity to smear Obama, Hillary, Bill or even Carter for that matter. AM radio talk is almost exclusively conservative and they are constantly whinning about the MSM when they are a part of it. Man it up you bunch of *snip*.

Hypocrisy much?

[edit on 1-11-2008 by whaaa]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/1/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
And so the list grows! Things that Palin should know but doesn't. You know, every morning when I wake up there is another thing or two that Palin doesn't know, but should. A good candidate would WOW me daily, not scare me with their ignorance.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Aggie Man]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
How does the saying go? If you can't run with the big dogs, don't come out from under the porch? Same thing applies here, Sarah.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think that Palin understands this quite well. It seems to me as if Palin is a tool to pander to the idiots around the country. Every day she makes some *snip* remark to the effect of "Obama is black, Obama is a terrorist, Obama isn't "one of us", the media is taking away my rights, yadda yadda yadda."

Go ahead and elect them guys, but don't cry when they try to seize control even moreso of the media and the internet. Oh, and by the way, welcome back McCarthyism.

Palin is the perfect hate tool for the republican party. They are hoping to turn out the racist idiots in the election.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/1/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
What Palin has been unprepared for was being forced by the party apparatus to play the bad guy and say all the negative stuff that McCain is being protected from. She's being used, and sent to the firing line, and that she probably didn't expect. She's doing the dirty "work" and getting plenty bloodied in the process.
If she were free to be herself instead of the fall guy, we'd probably see a very different picture - but then that's not politics, is it.
- just an outsider's observation
good luck with your election - hope it goes reasonably fair this time.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

From my point of view, you hit the nail on the head. This has been one of my concerns. It seems like she throws a topic with a buzz word out there but doesn't understand what she is actually stating.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
As Keith Olbermann said, "The First Amendment protects free speech BY the media and the people from interference BY the government. It does NOT protect the government from the media..."

Palin's Right to Avoid Criticism

She really should cozy down by the fire (with a dictionary) and read the Constitution some time.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It is a horrible way to campaign. If she's going to cry foul when the media calls her out on what she says, I can only imagine what will happen if and when coverage begins of her "mistakes" in office.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It is a horrible way to campaign. If she's going to cry foul when the media calls her out on what she says, I can only imagine what will happen if and when coverage begins of her "mistakes" in office.

Imagine her discussions with leaders and diplomats of other countries. I would think substance and trust in the material discussed would be rather important. Of course that might be old thinking in today's world of diplomacy.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I couldn't have said it better myself but what do you expect of people who only want to hear opinions that reinforce their already preconcieved ones?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
As Keith Olbermann said, "The First Amendment protects free speech BY the media and the people from interference BY the government. It does NOT protect the government from the media..."

Palin's Right to Avoid Criticism

She really should cozy down by the fire (with a dictionary) and read the Constitution some time.

\

This from the media that attacked Palin's family personally and dug in to "Joe The Plumbers" background and life.

You're all hypocrites.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Marcus Calpurnius

Attacked her family? If you mean her husband abusing HER powers yes they did. And Joe the Plumber was brought out by McCain. He might as well be a lobbyist or politician and is fair game.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join