It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you be a living Organ Donor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I came across this website for organ donations. www.optn.org...

As most know it is illegal to sell your organs in the U.S. but people seem to be getting around this by donating..say..a slice of their liver and sometime later receiving a thank you "gift" from the recipients of your liver.

My question is who would donate an organ or part of an organ and hope for a "thank you gift" which could be upwards of $150,000?

You'd be saving a life and helping your own families way of life?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'd be a living donor only for my husband or daughter.

Considering my health, I probably wouldn't survive donation surgery and they are the only ones I'd volunteer to die for at this time.

I am a donor for when I'm dead. They can have anything they want then.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I agree with you but what if you and your husband were working practically 24/7 and barely able to feed your child.

A man listed 1 kidney on Ebay and before they had a chance to yank the ad it had generated astronomical bids. There are over a million people across the globes waiting to "live".

[edit on 30-10-2008 by Bachrk]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachrk
I agree with you but what if you and your husband were working practically 24/7 and barely able to feed your child.

To save my child - absolutely. I'd die in surgery most likely.
But she'd still have my husband and she'd have some $$$ to help her.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
There are a couple of different sides to this coin, aren't there? It is (currently) legal for women to get abortions going on the argument that it's their own body and the government shouldn't tell them what they can and can't do with their own body. By that logic it would make sense to legalize selling off your own organs (the one's you don't need) to make a dollar, because again, the government shouldn't be telling me what i am allowed to sell off on (or in) my own person.

But who is going to be selling off their organs? Poor people, mainly. I don't think you're going to see a lot of people in their early 20's selling off a kidney so they can take advantage of the low stock prices (which wouldn't be a bad idea). What you're going to see is an entire class of society with a new option to keep their heads above water and this creates a serious class-warfare issue.

I used to play an internet game at www.nation-states.net (i think) where this was actually a law in my country. People were selling off organs to stay afloat and actually paying the price later in life when they maybe needed that other kidney.

On a personal note, you won't find me offering up any of my organs before or after death. I can't even be convinced to give blood or plasma. I know that may be wrong of me but i just can't get over it. It's my blood, *I* made it. Maybe i'm selfish but i don't think 150k would change my mind either.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
After reading the link I truly think I'd like to donate a kidney and help someone live.
I'd have a hard time with *pumpkin face* after - but - I shouldn't be so vain when someone out there would be alive thanks to my organ.

Hmmm... Maybe I should sign up somewhere.

Eeek what a thought!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
No way. I was just reading a book about the organ market worldwide. You want to read some scary s@#*? These guys are little more than ghouls. Be careful going to hospitals, be alert for sudden complications, always get second opinions. Get that organ donor option off your drivers license, do not be an organ donor on that. ----Oh looky, Capitalist Pizzaguy just bought a database of organ donors from the state DMV, now lets go pay someone to cause some wrecks. We need 3 kidneys this week to meet our profit margin.

PG

new topics

top topics

join