It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the Air Force losing so many F-22 Pilots?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
According to a recent Air Force Times article, the retention rate for F-22 pilots is the lowest at 33%. This is despite it being the latest fighter and a pretty decent 125,000.00 re-up bonus.

Theories on defense blogs range from it being a "boring" plane due to the computerized, fly by wire system to a unspoken policy in the AF of moving towards un-manned air combat platforms.

AF Times Article

The article does not go into the possible reasons for such a horrible retention rate, I was wondering if some of the ATS members might have decent theories or inside knowledge?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by nfotech
The article does not go into the possible reasons for such a horrible retention rate, I was wondering if some of the ATS members might have decent theories or inside knowledge?

According to the article:

DuHadway said he suspects frequent deployments and high operational tempo are the main issues, because many of the pilots eligible for the bonus started their operational careers in 2001.

Are you saying the author of the article offers nothing besides those points?

For what it's worth, they are probably leaving for the same reasons that folks have been leaving the military. Long hours, bad pay (for the amount of work involved), time away from family, decreased fun, and scared of Obama being elected.

Perhaps we will see the numbers go up, or plummet after the elections?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The retention rates for the F-15E Strike Eagle were 81% and the F-15 Eagle @68%.
Most of these F-22 pilots came from the F-15 and compared to flying the F-15, flying the F-22, you're more of a weapons control officer pushing buttons than actual pilot. I am certain that the pilots are seeing the writing on the wall as far as the future of fighter pilots are concerned. The days of Chuck Yeager and his P-51 Mustang are long gone.

Modern fighter planes are so capable that the Pilots are actually the limiting factor to high performance aircraft.
The F-22 with it's thrust vectoring can well overcome the pilots ability to maintain consciousness and even flies itself until the pilot regains his composure and control of the aircraft.

As far as the Obama fear, I'd say that on the contrary just perhaps they know something that we don't as far as the possibility of future wars and the Russians response to the USA's Air Superiority Fighter ?

join