It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If God doesn't exist why is the Universe so darned mysterious?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I can't believe someone would think that the Universe wasn't created by a God or by a force outside of the Universe.

The Universe is so mysterious and beautiful in itself. Science doesn't take away the mystery of the Universe it only makes the Universe more wonderful and fantastic.

Even if you explained all the phenomenon of the Universe you wouldn't take away the mystery of why it started.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
"I can't believe someone would think that the Universe wasn't created by a God or by a force outside of the Universe."

Probably because no force exists outside of the Universe. Without the Universe itself we would not have any space or time. Thus No Thing can exist without the universe having existed first. God=Nope and Force outside of the Universe=Nope

"The Universe is so mysterious and beautiful in itself. Science doesn't take away the mystery of the Universe it only makes the Universe more wonderful and fantastic."

Yep, it does. Though it's not mysterious at all if you are able to predict galaxy formation.

"Even if you explained all the phenomenon of the Universe you wouldn't take away the mystery of why it started."

Yeah you would actually. It's not a mystery if you can explain it.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It's mysterious because we have yet to fully understand it. It doesn't seem to be that deep a concept.

You can continue to ask "Why?" as every question is answered and yes, at some point you will come to a point at which the only answer is "Something we do not yet understand." and that is where humanity divides itself between believers and non-believers. Why must the answer be god or creation? Why must anyone believe anything but the chance of spontaneous (as we understand it) creation?

[edit on 10/28/2008 by eNumbra]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I don't discount the POSSIBILITY of a creator of sorts, but just because something is mysterious doesn't mean it's created by god. 200 years ago if you showed someone a CD player they would have burned you at the stake for practicing witchcraft. How else would you have gotten tiny people to sing from such a small box? Obviously there's nothing supernatural about it, but because they have no concept of it, they turned to their default comfort zone - religion. Religion gives some people a sense of protection, purpose, etc. When confronted with something they don't understand they use it as a sort of security blanket. After all, at least if this unknown thing means me harm, I'll either not die and be saved by God's intervention, or I'll die and it will have been God's will not to intervene. I strayed a bit from my original thought, but to sum up - To tell a religious person that there is no God is to take away that security blanket.

I mean no disrespect by any of that - I myself have wondered how any of this existence is possible without some sort of divine entity. But then I just decide to be undecided and admittedly uninformed about the nature of the universe and that's good enough for me for now.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by an0maly33]

top topics

join