It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will Bush pardon ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

In the United States, the pardon power for Federal crimes is granted to the President by the United States Constitution, Article II, Section 2, which states that the President:

shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.
The Supreme Court has interpreted this language to include the power to grant pardons, conditional pardons, commutations of sentence, conditional commutations of sentence, remissions of fines and forfeitures, respites and amnesties.[1] All federal pardon petitions are addressed to the President, who grants or denies the request. Typically, applications for pardons are referred for review and non-binding recommendation by the Office of the Pardon Attorney, an official of the Department of Justice. The percentage of pardons and reprieves granted varies from administration to administration (fewer pardons have been granted since World War II).[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_pardon

So far W has yet to pardon anyone during his 8 years. He did commute part of the sentance of Scooter Libby but no other.

Like the Clinton administration, will be see a last minute flurry of pardons? Lets face it marc Rich bought his :shk:

Are full pardons in the works for Rumsfield, Cheney, Rice et al? for thier roles in the march to war?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I agree with Rummy, Cheney and Rice...

We'll most likely see Karl Rove added to that list as well...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm not sure why they would need to be "pardoned"? Technically, they've done nothing wrong...regardless of our opinions on the war, or the run up to, unless something breaks in the next 3 months, no pardon by President Bush is neccessary.

Unless I've missed a court decision or three...

'course he could pardon "just in case", but that would be admitting the possibility, or even liklihood, of wrongdoing.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 10/26/2008 by seagull]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'd bet on some sort of carefully-phrased, preemptive 'blanket pardon':

So don't be surprised if some time before Inauguration Day 2009, President George W. Bush issues a blanket presidential pardon to ensure that those who organized and implemented brutal interrogation techniques such as "waterboarding" (a terrifying simulated drowning) are never hauled before the courts. A pardon would prevent future administrations from ever prosecuting those responsible for torture and other mistreatment at Guantánamo Bay and secret CIA detention facilities elsewhere overseas.
Source

Interestingly, it's legal (sorta) to pardon someone before they've been charged with a crime, and to pardon non-specifically. Bush could even, potentially, preemptively pardon himself, avoiding future prosecution! See linked article for more detail.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My guess.....

Osama Bin Ladin
Would be a twist not many expect

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Well, there is the use of torture that is still an ongoing investigation, and there is the questionable termination of some U.S. attorneys from the Department of justice that is currently being investigated...

there is plenty of dirt... I'm sure he'll pardon them to make sure they won't be indicted for anything.

There is also a reason why Bush recently purchased a residence abroad...
www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

That's for sure! A twist indeed...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

That's true enough, however, no one person has been implicated or charged, so far's I know...though who knows what'll come down the pike in the near, or not so near, future...a preemptive pardon isn't so farfetched in that case. I stand corrected, hating it, but admitting it...lol.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

There is precidence in this case. Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon before any criminal charges had been filed against him. He said this was to save the American people from the shame and embarasment of having a former President tried as a criminal with the world watching. It was total BS, and it cost him the election in '76.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Yes he did, I'd forgotten that, being only 11 at the time I had much more important things on my mind, like the 5th grade. You're right.

I hereby withdraw, and disavow any knowledge of, my first post. Apparently it's my day to be somewhat forgetful.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I hope he pardons US Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean but I doubt that will happen

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, now that the verdict is in, my guess would be Sen. Ted Stevens. I wonder if this crook is going to be re-elected? If he is, that tells you something about the State of Alaska, now doesn't it!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
I hope he pardons US Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean but I doubt that will happen

I bet he will. He has sided with criminals for 8 years. Why not pardon some low level corrupt officials who shoot people in the rear?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
all the reps that voted for the bail out, himself, and every one under him..

top topics

join