It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Follower: Evangelist Alamo had 9-year-old bride

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Follower: Evangelist Alamo had 9-year-old bride

www.cnn.com

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- Former followers of evangelist Tony Alamo testified Wednesday they were often beaten at his instructions and one said Alamo took a 9-year-old girl as his wife, as prosecutors sought to prevent him from being freed while awaiting trial.

Alamo, 74, is in federal custody waiting to face charges that he took minors across state lines for sex. His trial is scheduled for next month.

While the hearing was under way in Texarkana, Arkansas state troopers executed a new search warrant at the Tony Alamo Christian Ministries compound in Fouke, State Police spokesman Bill Sadler confirmed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
What is going on with people now a days? How many threads have we had in the past couple weeks about pedophiles? Is it that they are catching more, or that there is more?

On another note about this article...Who in their right minds would be part of some kind of ministry that would beat you? I mean how can they justify this as having to do with Jesus?

This what I found to be the worst part of the story:

Alamo, who is listed in court documents by his real name of Bernie Lazar Hoffman, has pleaded not guilty to the two charges, each of which carries a sentence of 10 years to life in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

10 years to life? How about minimum life?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

On another note about this article...Who in their right minds would be part of some kind of ministry that would beat you? I mean how can they justify this as having to do with Jesus?

Interesting article. But I think you raise an even better one here. My answer to that would be that many cultures, and religions thrive off the idea that suffering is interlinked with sanctity. Ultimately we respect Jesus for having died (read suffered) for us. If people perceive themselves as being inherently evil, or that their actions are tainted. Then suffering of any kind might help to alleviate their sense of guilt.

This man however, is an obvious predator and deserves to rot in whatever cesspit they throw him in.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Ugh, brings to mind the recent FLDS raid... except this one was real...

It digusts me how people use religious beleifs to hid or get away with terrible things like this.

Not only is the act itself terrible, but come on, what aweful publicity for God. I don't see how any religion, whether fringe or mainstream, can honestly claim to be "the only one" when things like this happen.

top topics

join