It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert: McCain will be next president... of Fox News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Stephen Colbert satirized Sen. John McCain's allegations during the final presidential debate Wednesday night that his opponent is involved with a group that could "destroy the fabric of democracy" through voter fraud. Colbert said he is tired of people claiming NSA wiretapping, condoning torture or increased power in the executive branch is endangering democracy, when the real culprit is obviously a grassroots organization called ACORN.

rawstory.com...

Its sad when i see some of the really poor people in my area here in alabama with mccain signs in there yard . They would never vote for obama you know what their excuse is,, because theye werent raised that way so ignorant and old fashioned. Its sad that alot of americans feel that way just because he is african american. Look pass that people he is just an american running for President. Dont look at being Republican or Democrat this is just another thing in this country that helps keep this country divided. Look past your party roots and just vote for the best man for the job which in my opinion is Obama he can change this country for the better if we get out and vote and give him a chance to do the job. And remember we are all americans stop racially dividing yourselves. Americans

[edit on 19-10-2008 by uncover_the_truth]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Colbert is hilarious! Love him!

Originally posted by uncover_the_truth
Its sad that alot of americans feel that way just because he is african american.

I think if Barack Obama was a white man, he'd have a 25-30 point lead instead of 7-10... But the fact that he's where he is shows that this country has come along way. Racism isn't gone by any means, but we're moving through it as a country.

There are certainly plenty of people who don't want Obama to be president because they disagree with his policies and positions on issues. But there are also plenty, like your neighbors, who could never vote for a black person. That's just where we are right now.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I think if Obama was a white man he wouldn't have even gotten past the primaries.

This is depressing that people are treating Obama like he is the savior of America when his rhetoric doesn't even match his record. The executive experience that he claims to have was to burn through 160 million bucks and change absolutely nothing.

www.cbsnews.com...

Both of them Obama and McCain are politicians they lie and pander to get votes that is politics.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
I think if Obama was a white man he wouldn't have even gotten past the primaries.

So, you think there's some sort of Affirmative Action for politicians? You think the reason he's made it so far is BECAUSE he's black? What? People feel sorry for him and so they vote for him?

Boy, if that's the case, then I'll bet there are a LOT of black people wondering why THEIR blackness hasn't made THEM successful like Barack Obama's blackness made him successful...

Interesting.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm not saying it is affirmative action for politicians, but he has pulled the race card many many times during his campaign. He hasn't even been properly vetted, just about every MSM outlet have given him a free pass.

The man has accomplished hardly aything in his life. The one time he did get a chance to spend 160 million dollars to change things they failed miserably. His record of change is non-existent in his time in politics and his past associations are just about all crooks.

Obama has gotten a free ride. That is what I'm saying, not to mention what is it, 98% of blacks are voting for him.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
We shouldn't be electing a Democrat or a Republican.

We should be electing somebody who is not a member of a party/gang. We should be electing somebody who does not need a party/gang to tell them which way the wind blows. We should be electing somebody who is free of party/gang "me too" politics. We should be electing somebody who can stand on their own feet and make up their own mind and write their own speeches. We should be electing somebody whose "war chest" is not full of political contributions that will need to be repaid once they are in office.

I am groingrinder and I approve this message.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I'm not saying it is affirmative action for politicians, but he has pulled the race card many many times during his campaign.

This sounds like a Faux News talking point more than anything else. Can you do better than them and share some examples of Obama pulling the race card, please.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Such as who? As much as we want this country to be a democracy, it is not. We cannot just elect anyone we want to president. We have to pick from the choices that they give us.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningStar8741

Such as who? As much as we want this country to be a democracy, it is not. We cannot just elect anyone we want to president. We have to pick from the choices that they give us.

We have to pick from the choices "they" give us? That is no choice at all. We have to have some kind of election reform that will give us more and better choices. There has to be a way for non-party individuals to get on the ticket.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I think that was my point. The way things are, where do you plan to get this other person to vote for? Things need to change in order for us to truly have a choice but I do not see that happening any time soon.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MorningStar8741

www.politico.com...

"What they're going to try to do is make you scared of me," Obama said. "You know, he doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

www.poligazette.com...

"It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy," Obama told a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida . "We know what kind of campaign they're going to run. They're going to try to make you afraid.

"They're going to try to make you afraid of me. He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?"

news.aol.com...

That is just a few of them. If you take the time you can find them yourself. The democrats have been playing the race card also with out very much opposition from Obama, also his supporters, again not really any mention about it from Obama.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
You know... when someone "plays the race card", that means that they cite race as the reason for something when in fact, it's NOT because of race. The real reason is another entirely.

For example, A black woman is speeding and is stopped by a white cop. She goes to court and says she was stopped because she's black. THAT'S playing the race card.

Everything Obama has said would happen as regards his race is TRUE. That's not playing the race card, that's telling it like it is. McCain IS trying to make people scared of Obama, and succeeding. You only have to listen to his supporters as they claim that he's "Arab" or a "terrorist". They got that from the Republican party. McCain IS planting that seed of doubt in voters' minds that Obama is different and strange.

Just because someone MENTIONS race doesn't mean they're playing the race card.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
So Obama making those statements is completely valid because people won't vote for him because he is black, but what about all those people voting for him because he is black. He just conveniently forgets about those in his speeches when he makes off statements like that, right?

Then what do you call it? Looks like the race card to me just because they don't come out and say, "....because I'm black....." doesn't mean it isn't the race card. Making references and statements implying race is just as good as saying, "...it's because I'm black..."

You can go on and say what you want about it and believe what you want to believe, but I'm not going to argue about it and run around in circular logic.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

but what about all those people voting for him because he is black.

That's a good point. However, I tend to think that generally, black people vote for Obama in hopes that he can relate to them and will be able to do something about the racism and discrimination that exists in this country. Besides, most black people are Democrats.

There are some black people who will vote for him JUST because he's black, I'm sure. But I think it's more about the history of racism and discrimination and their hopes of change.

I don't want to argue, either, but I think it's good to share our views, even if they aren't in complete alignment.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I think if Barack Obama was a white man, he'd have a 25-30 point lead instead of 7-10...

If 95% of the black people didn't vote for him, he would not only NOT have a 25 to 30 point lead, he would have never got passed HRC. In fact, I still struggle with how he got passed her in the first place. I will say this though, had he chosen HRC as his running mate, he'd be enjoying that 25 to 30 point lead.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

That's a good point. However, I tend to think that generally, black people vote for Obama in hopes that he can relate to them and will be able to do something about the racism and discrimination that exists in this country. Besides, most black people are Democrats.

Christ, people like you are the problem with race in this country. You make so many racist assumptions and you don't even realize it. The idea that only a black man could heal racism in this country. Not just any black man, but one who was mentored by a racist. Than you rationalize black people voting for Obama based on skin color, because they can relate to him. So, what swrong with white people voting for McCain for that reason?

You have different standards for people based on their skin color. Thats the problem and I beleive its a problem Obama will perpetuate. You cant heal race relations when you base you're campaign on being afraid of them racist white folks and getting the media to demonize half this population simply for having white skin. The fact that you think this behavior will help race relations is why you're part of the problem.

What he need is another MLK who can re-teach people to judge each other on character and not skin color. Obama isn't it.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marcus Calpurnius
The idea that only a black man could heal racism in this country.

I didn't say that. Talk about assumptions...

You have different standards for people based on their skin color.

Again, I said no such thing.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
So, because Obama is black he is going to come in and magically heal everything that is wrong with this country. I could go and type out why I feel that he won't not only will he not, but why it could possibly hurt things in the long run, but that is a different topic at a different time.

new topics

top topics

join