It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe’s largest mosque opens in Chechnya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Saturday, 18 October 2008 02:34 Chechnya on Friday imposed stringent security for the opening of a mosque said to be Europe’s largest in a symbolic show of the war-torn Russian region’s return to normality. Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov led a dedication ceremony in the capital, Grozny, before an audience of more than 2,000 people in the “Heart of Chechnya” mosque which authorities say has a capacity of 10,000 people.

“The war in Chechnya was unleashed in order to destroy Russia, but the Chechen people, supported by the federal centre, foiled these filthy plans,” Kadyrov was quoted as saying by news agency. He also praised Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who oversaw the 1999 war that crushed the region’s separatist leaders, later replaced by a pro-Moscow government. Putin visited the mosque on Thursday.

Access to the Grozny city centre was blocked during the ceremony as soldiers and police were stationed every 100 metres to prevent attacks by militants, which still occur frequently in Chechnya. Dozens of guests waited in heavy rain to be let inside the mosque dedicated to late Chechen president Ahmad Kadyrov, father of the current leader.

Ahmad Kadyrov was a one-time militant and mufti who preached jihad against Moscow, then switched sides and ruled Chechnya until his assassination in 2004. His son Ramzan has promoted a greater role for Islam in the Caucasus region even as human rights groups have accused him of involvement in mass killings and abductions.

The 35-acre complex includes a university, library, madressah and dormitories for students.

So. This is the way Putin handles regions and its people. "Not only big, but the greatest of all!" Putin can be hard for his opponents, but he knows also how to say thanks to people he rules.

Its not a small stuff to build Mosqs to your enemy. "How many Mosqs US has build in Afghanistan and Iraq, and how many they have ruin with their bombs?"

Its important question, because the answer leads us to question, "Is that the way you can really win wars, hearts and minds?"

I just love him, what he do: Putin is a great man, and he can rebuild great nations what he conquer. Everybody do mistakes, but this man learns from others mistakes too.

Putin The Great!

link to source:
www.daily.pk...

[edit on 18-10-2008 by JanusFIN]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Putin - a great man? I personally highly doubt it - i see no real accomplishment since oil prices are responsible for economic situation in major Russian cities and not his leadership, he is however much better then those before him.Just that thieves that he brought down are replaced by ones from his group.
But to use Chechnya were so many Russian citizens were killed in this war/s as an example of what US should do is naive at best. Putin used so much violence to suppress the rebels that if US will do the same - i guess you will be the first to condemn them. And a result is an autonomous republic just as it was before the war that brought Putin the real power (and of course stopped disintegration of Russia). 10 percent of population is gone, killed in the fightings between the sides. The same percentage in Iraq will mean 3 million dead.
And his management of crisises is always lacking. I see no reason to paint him as new sun among nations. I think that his minuses out weight his pluses. Would not like him as a ruler.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I dont know, thats maybe the only right answer we all have.

But there is something historical in that man. Look at Russia today, and compare that to Russia right after Jeltsin era. Lots of change, to good, in all levels of life.

Ofcourse its a land of opposites, but there was no opposite to poorness and crimes before Putin makes his present clear. Now Moskow is the most expencive city in earth, and revenues of state are huge.

Political influence reaches again all the parts of world, they made, he make world Multipolar again.

I dont know, I just love how he hadle the situation of those most difficult times, when US attacked their backyard in Afghanistan. I think that Putin was that time in most difficult situation in the world, but he handle Russian interest great in region, and those who follow his lead, made good results from awful situation.

I dont know, but what I am to say? My honest view from that guy is just great: Putin The Great. Maybe I am wrong, so what, everybody should believe to something, also in world politics.

join