It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intel vs AMD... Intel, tell me why...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
My question is why are Intel quad core extreme processors running around 1500 bux when you can get an AMD Phenom for 169 bux?

Also I have a phenom 140w quad core and from the benchmarks I've run using 3DMark and PCmark it shows the phenom out performing the quad core extremes... Can this be right?

Can a 169 dollar CPU beat a 1500 CPU? The benchmarks say it can... So why are the Intel quad cores so expensive? If the performance difference isn't much better than the AMD Phenom's I just don't see the reason behind the price tag...

Anyway, if anyone here can explain the reason behind the price ranges I'd be very interested to know...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The fastest AMD, the 9950 ($170), is barely faster than my two year old Q6600 ($180) while running stock, despite my Q6600 putting out about 30 - 45 watts less heat (95 watt TDP). Once you get into overclocking it really is no contest, with a $70 cooler it's possible to get a Q6600 to 3.6ghz, stable, whereas a 9950 may not be abled to get much over 3.4ghz - while the AMD is using more power and still less efficient clock for clock.

The $1500 Core 2 Quad Extremes (QX) are simply head and shoulders above anything else - look at benchmarks. You can get them to 4.5ghz on air, stable. These have the added benefit of SSE4, higher FSB, & more cache. So they're far more efficiant per cycle then a Q6600... Are AMD compatible with DDR3? If not, then a QX9770, overclocked, DDR3, rig is going to be perhaps twice as fast as any AMD...

When Nehalem comes out at the end of the year, the gap will be widened. That is another 50% increase in performance, minimum, with 10% increase on power consumption.... (over Q9450).... High end Intels are so expensive simply because they have no competition. Regarding your 3dmark scores, was the Core 2 Quad Extreme a two year old QX6700, paired with a slow videocard?

[edit on 15/10/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I have both, and for games I have to say AMD is my favorite and for business and things to that matter, I lean to the ole Intel.......

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
www.anandtech.com...

www.anandtech.com...

www.anandtech.com...

$275 processor can overclock to 4.5ghz on air, giving you $2000 worth of performance.

www.xtremesystems.org...

Power efficiant...
www.anandtech.com...

[edit on 11/11/2008 by C0bzz]

top topics

join