It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google randomly changing default language/server....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I use Firefox, a wireless router (WRT45G), and Qwest internet. Yesterday, on every computer connected to my network, wired and wireless, Google came up on the .de, German, server, and in that language. This was both on XP and Vista 32/64, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.

I was able to change the settings so Google came in English, but it still used the .de server.

Today it switched to Japanese. Luckily, I'm able to read Japanese so I switched it to English again (but it still uses the .jp domain).

This is really boggling to me. It has to be the router or modem that's doing this, because it does this on all computers. I doubt it's a spyware or virus, since each computer uses different types of firewalls, including Comodo, OneCare, Norton, Zonealarm, and AVG.

Could anyone help me? I'm pretty good with computers so you don't need to explain everything in noobie terms for me

[edit on 10/9/2008 by iceofspades]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
There is something there ... about an hour ago, I got a box in the middle of my screen that said something about a security warning, needing an update regarding language change. I have windows vista - what is up?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
That is strange.

As far as I know, Google (and many other sites) uses your IP address to know where you are coming from, so they can "localise" what they show you.

This problem makes me think that you have a changing IP address that sometimes looks like it's coming from Germany and other times from Japan. As the IP address is provided by your ISP I think that the only way of this happening is some software on your computer is disguising your IP address.

If you installed any software that does this then everything should be OK, if you did not then there is a possibility of someone using your computer without you knowing it.

But as this is new to me I may be completly wrong.

join