It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the Ultimate Survival Tools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I thought I would share this little bit with those who would be prepared for anything.
I advise everyone who cares enough to have a survival kit to add this to it - this item will save someone's life, and do many other things.
The item is common, ordinary kitchen plastic. Celophane, I believe the plastic is called. Cling - wrap.

I learned of the value of this from a First Responder ( mountaineering ) who uses it to make ( or secure, rather ) splints on broken limbs. You see, the plastic sticks to itself quite well and more than one or two wraps is incredibly strong. It will conform to the odd shapes of human limbs very well.

This material is ideal for the worst - case scenario : a sucking chest wound.
A hole through the torso ( and a lung ) is incredibly difficult to deal with , but - I 've heard stories of medics saving soldiers with this plastic. Sorry, I honestly can ' t remember where...

A bullet hole or nasty cut could be treated with this material, and so on.

There are many non - medical uses for it as well. It can be used like tape, and ( of course ) it makes for lightweight food storage.

Thought I 'd recommend this to fellow ATS survivalists. Hope you never need it... but.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Skelkie3

I 've heard stories of medics saving soldiers with this plastic. Sorry, I honestly can ' t remember where...

I can...Germany and Ft. Campbell, KY.

I went through an 'emergency combat medic' course that lasted 1 week. The course was short in duration, because they only covered the basics of what medics deal with - and focus on extreme situations instead of giving a full fledged course...

Not only did they have cling wrap on hand, they made us wrap each other up in it...no, not the whole body, just particular parts...

Good post man, it really does work...and like you mentioned, you can also use it for rations; but we joked about using it on the instructor giving the course - a mean SOB and yelled at everyone - so we thought it would be funny to wrap his mouth up...but that never happened.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
star and flag! i read a lot of survival stuff but this was new info for me. good work, we need to know this stuff!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
That is a great idea. I use the stuff almost daily in the kitchen It is also used to wrap and protect a lot of items that are shipped in cargo containers. About sucking chest wounds, (Don't worry it's Gods way of telling you that you've been shot in the chest) I personally witnessed a Navy Medical Corpsman attached to my unit in Vietnam, use the plastic that PRC-25 field radio batteries were packaged in to seal that kind of wound. That poor guy died 14 hours later due to the weather conditions that prevented medical evacuation. If not for the weather in that case he would have easily survived. Most guys that received sucking chest wounds and were treated in the same manner survived if they made it to a medical facility in time. I just remembered having to use plastic wrap to cover a skin infection after applying a steroid ointment.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Excellent post. Its always great to find somthing new. Sometimes the best survival equpment is right in your house. ( super-glue, dental floss, etc.)

top topics

join