It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where can I get non-terminator seeds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm looking to get some seeds for food that aren't genetically modified so they will bear more seeds. What kind are the best? Do I need to get them online?

I also heard soil is poisoned out in the backwoods in some areas. Any truth to that?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You need to be looking for heirloom seeds...these are seeds that are old varieties that have been grown for 50 years or more, and are open pollinated. Much better taste and are not engineered in any way. Fertile too, which some others aren't. Google it and you will find loads. Be very careful who you buy from though, and make sure that you get a company with a phone number and good track record. If you can, use Paypal and not a credit card, and you can get your money back if you get ripped of...this has happened to me and has been happening a lot to other people too. I was just investigating this tonight, as I've had my fingers burned with this recently. U2U me if you need to...I don't want to start mentioning names on a public site.

Cait

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Truekn

Heirloom are the best/only way to go. I get mine here, Seeds

Never had any trouble, they do accept PayPal. Its what my personal gardens have been seeded with the last 4 years. Odd site to navigate, but well worth the trouble.

As far as poisoned soil, never heard to that one before. Before you plant, get a ph reading of the soil and test for nitrogen. If those fall within the acceptable levels of what you are planting, shouldnt have any trouble.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
That's an excellent link...I've never heard of them before, and they have a lot of good stuff in their site...thank you so much! I will be ordering from them for sure.

Cait

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Let me know how they work out for you. The seeds I purchased when I got started are still in rotation, plants get stronger every year. Ive been experimenting with some of the more obscure seeds and plants from there, so if you try anything out of the ordinary, please let me know.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have found them on ebay in lots. They can get pricey there though.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Heirloom on Ebay...do a search. I bought all of next yrs seeds from one vendor.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well, we're just in year one of our garden and it's been a slow start...a lot of work still to do, so I'm making a seed bank for next year really, when I can build a greenhouse to start them off in. It's already snowing here. But I will certainly keep you posted. I'm not sure if the more exotic stuff will grow here...we're further north than Moscow!...so I might be limited. I would just*love* to grow corn. It's really encouraging to hear that your plants are progressing so well.

Again, thank you..

Cait

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the link. I've been looking for heirlooms for awhile.
The hybrids I've planted haven't performed worth a crap!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
according to the future maps (google that) the british isles are soon going to be under the water...do anyone knows where exactly the "uk survival team" plans to go?

i would also appreciate the advice on how to change the password here.

reply by U2U svp, or directly to [email protected] , as i occasionally have troubles with navigating various web sites.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

according to the future maps (google that) the british isles are soon going to be under the water...do anyone knows where exactly the "uk survival team" plans to go?

reply by U2U svp, or directly to [email protected] , as i occasionally have troubles with navigating various web sites.

cheers,

www.myspace.com/sexypoetry

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
if you want a really great deal on seeds (suggest anyone interested in growing their own food in the near future check this out very soon) should go to ebay uk and check out this seller...

premier seeds direct

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Truekn

most 'survival' sites have Ads for 'heritage' seeds

in fact yesterday, at the Galaxy-Army-Navy, a surplus store in NYC,
i was looking through all the other stuff related to MREs & first-aid & found bulk dry goods & 'heritage seeds'/non hybrid seeds

but i still wonder, just how are plants going to grow in a contaminated environment, poisoned with either chemicals, bios, radiological soil...
do we eat plants & grains grown with contaminated water, with dead carcasses up stream or floating in the lake...
the plants have to endure the acid rain, toxic airborne viruses/bacterias?

Any young plants that are still healthy will need to be pollenated by Hand, as the bees & other pollenators will most likely be absent for another year -or longer

[edit on 4-10-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I recently bought a supply of heirloom seeds from a grower in my own state. I wanted plants that I knew would grow where I live. The price was about the same as commercial hybrid seeds. It took over a week to get them and the grower told me they cannot keep up with the demand.

I recommend you order some soon. Like yesterday.

Also, having seeds is worthless if you don't have supplies for gardening or don't know what you are doing (my case). It takes at least a year to get decent at gardening from what I understand. My recommendation is to start a victory garden NOW with even a few vegetables to supplement your (no doubt) large surplus of beans and rice. You can afford to make mistakes now, but perhaps not a year from now.

Most of my family and friends have been ignoring me. I spent today in my new garden.

You may want to consider growing some vegetables in containers that can be moved indoors. Tomatoes come to mind as something that can be grown indoors. Might be good practice to try something inside during the winter. Also, some bulbs can be planted as soon as the soil gets to a certain temperature, so you need to be ready before spring. You can start the seeds indoors, most require about 8 weeks to get going.

In other words, anything you started now would likely be four months from eating.

You might also want to read how to collect seeds from your vegetables as well.

If you purchase fruit trees, make sure you get a variety that is self pollinating. Most corn requires pollinating and is pretty much a waste unless you are doing large scale farming.

top topics

join