It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capitalism and Democracy at a standoff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Once in a great while, we as Americans strongly voice an opinion on a particular topic and deliver a resounding voice to those whom we have appointed as a governing body.

With the recent bailout crisis, it appears that we have two situations unfolding: The first being that of the voice of the people, which appears to say no bailout, and the other being that of the government that is telling us the bailout is going to happen because it needs to.

Our voice, as a people to our representatives regarding the bailout appears to be vetoed for the voice of the government which through its actions says this has to be done.

Legislation without representation? Or is this sound logic by those who govern us in realizing that while we the people have a voice, sometimes doing the right thing supersedes our voice as a people.

When the peoples voice is not honored by the government in terms of continuing to draft a bailout that is unwanted, but has been said is required to keep free markets sound, Does it not put democracy at odds with capitalism?

Something to think about...

Peace

[edit on 30-9-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Personally, in my own state, I see this going for the better. On Sunday night, I emailed my Representative for voting against the bailout, which she was obviously not going to, since I live in the #3 richest zip code in the state.

She voted against the bailout, surprising.

I see this turning positivity.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Here is an interesting video that was linked on another thread and touches that which I indicated in this thread.

Are we a democracy or a corpocracy?

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
When the peoples voice is not honored by the government in terms of continuing to draft a bailout that is unwanted, but has been said is required to keep free markets sound, Does it not put democracy at odds with capitalism?

Dont mess with the system is what this video is talking about. And it appears that our system of Government is all about keeping established empires in place in the form of federally backed corporations, regardless of what we the people think.

Did the Government act on account of the people, or the beckoning of corporations? When corporations vote for the American people in place of the American, people, then to me, Capitalism and Democracy appear to be at a standoff.

Peace

[edit on 11-10-2008 by HIFIGUY]

join