It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is palin now a liability?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
the appointment of sarah palin was hailed as a "home run" by one republican. The question now is - a home run for who? the republicans or democrats?

shaky performaces in interviews seem to have damaged her credibility. was this appointment a mistake by the mccain camp?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Did anyone see how nervous McCain was while she was talking to Katie Couric. It looked like he was going to jump up an yell cut, cut, cut.

Not to mention his answering a direct question asked of her by Couric.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I saw the interview on one of those generic whitewash nightly "news" programs,and I have to agree,she did seem a little shaky.I think this will be ammo for the other side of the coin.I wonder how she will fare in the vice presidential debate?As far as the election in general,I am still of the mind that no matter who wins...we lose.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I am afraid that some of her botched interviews and lack of experience are worrying people.

You can just tell that she is awkward. She doesn't even know when to stand or shake hands and looks around for direction.

She is botching questions that she has even been asked before. I even saw an interview with someone from the McCain campaign and they felt she should be kept from further interviews.

In another decade I wouldn't think it a big deal. But with a war and things screwed up as badly as they are now, I just don't think it is a good time to bring someone so inexperienced in.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
A liability? Hmmm...Ya Think!? One thing is for sure, if you remove the L, she's a Pain.

These are the jokes...I'll be here all night.

[edit on 29/9/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
That Katie Couric interview was absolutely painful! I can't believe that there's somehow still anyone left supporting her as a good VP choice. She'd be a weak choice if America was a utopia right now; she's a foolish, self destructive choice with the economy imploding and international scene what it is.

Republicans can't seriously still think this woman is anything but a terrible mistake, they aren't that stupid.

If she has any sense at all, she'll bow out before her debate with Biden. Of course I'd rather she didn't

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I absolutely think Palin is hurting McSame's chances. I think some event will come up and she will step down. What do you think the chances are of Mccain choosing Lieberman as his new Vp. Those two seem to be glued at the hip.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

It is clear thst she lacks experience in many fields. But her nomination is far from a mistake, she is precisely what McCain needed and an asset where he needs it the most.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Camilo1

i assume you mean an asset to secure the right/religous vote and sway female clinton fans?

i think she will acheive the grass roots right vote but i dont think hilary voters will be swayed. Not on her recent performaces anyway. I dont think mccains camp made the decision on whats best for the country it was a pure political choice.

That doesn't play well with the average person.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Let's see what transpires in the debates this Thursday. She did bad in the interviews, let's see if the debate will be the beginning of her downfall or whether she can save the day.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think the GOP, not McCain, actually chose her, but I have always thought she was a mistake for the McCain campaign and for the country.

I think she was great at first until the "handlers" started trying to control her exposure and her "presentation" to the public. She was doing just fine (and did wonderfully in Alaska) as long as she was being herself, even if she didn't know every answer. But I believe the GOP and the campaign advisors put so much pressure on her to appear a certain way, that she lost her confidence and that "spark" that people so loved about her.

Now that her confidence is down and everyone around her is pressuring her to do well at the debate after all the media has said about her... it's not a pretty picture. I feel very sorry for her.

Having said that, I still strongly believe that she is highly under-qualified for the job.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I believe McCain is skating on thin ice with Palin as his running mate.

A vice president should be able to stand on their own two feet. Palin seems to lack this essential trait. How much longer can the McCain campaign afford to carry her piggy back?

This is a classic Catch-22 for McCain. He can stand by his decision of choosing Palin and continue carrying the burden of the entire campaign squarely on his shoulders alone. Or, he can cut his losses by ditching Palin and bring aboard a more suitable running mate. One that does not need to be sheltered from the political storm, can stand alone in interviews and can campaign without a having their hand held the entire way. Either way, McCain is not going to be able to defend his decision concerning Palin unscathed.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
...which makes me think that there could be a sophisticated gambit on McCains part. He choses Palin and makes a lot of PR with this decision. Great. Now, he ditches her and makes a lot of PR with choosing a new, and stronger, candidate, just at the right time.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You could be right, buddha. It would be right in line with his wild-and-crazy surprise! and dramatic moments that he's become famous for. I don't think it would do any good for his campaign... Unless he chose another woman who was qualified. But that would highlight his "bad decision-making abilities". He's between a rock and a hard place once again.

When Katie Couric asked Palin a question and John McCain butted in to answer for her...
If someone did that to me...

Palin is in Sedona with Steve Schmidt and Rick Davis for a last minute coaching session. Hopefully they leave her alone and go fishing or something.

This debate will be interesting and the TV audience will be huge! Her "performance" should tell a lot.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

if she dropped out the campaign i think that would spell the end for McCain. His first major decision and he has to admit he got it wrong.

Palin might do better in the more structured debate situation. She will have well prepared answers, where she might be weak is on any follow up questions.

The plus for the republicans is i think expectations are at an all time low and if she manages a few coherent sentences it will be viewed as a success. Thursday should be interesting

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

this thought has crossed my mind. He needed to look up to date by selecting a female running mate. But now she has shown to be in-adequate and it gives him the chance to pick someone else.

People will argue of course but I think a smart choice would be Mitt Romney at this point. Though several Gops have told me they may not like each other. But that should be beside the point.

Has anyone ever switched VPs during a campaign?

this campaign has been unusual anyways. What's more drama?

Whether planned or not, I think it would be an interesting move. I don't think McCain will "drop" her. As she will "resign."

I do think she has strong qualities. And I don't live in AK but she may even be a great governor. I like her personally. When she talks she keeps your attention. I told my husband she looks like she is in on a secret and funny joke.

But she was a mayor of a town of 7k. My little town has 10k and I could win a mayoral bid.

Even though she is only holding a VP slot, she has a 40% chance of becoming president. this is why so many focus on her. Her chances of president are only slightly less then M and O.
Because of M age. Even if he doesn't pass, he runs a high risk of stroke or alzheimers in his age group.

It is the elephant in the room. But people are very aware of this fact.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by nixie_nox]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Has anyone ever switched VPs during a campaign?

In 1972, George McGovern picked Thomas Eagleton as his running mate and dumped him 18 days later, because Eagleton had undergone electro-shock therapy for depression.

Thirteen days later, Eagleton conceded what Democrats and journalists had been whispering about for days: that he had been hospitalized three times in the 1960s for depression and stress, and that he had undergone electric shock therapy. Despite the furor, McGovern insisted that he would not remove Eagleton from the ticket, declaring that he was behind him "1,000 percent."

That "1,000 percent" lasted until July 31, when, after a national uproar and following a meeting with McGovern, Eagleton withdrew from the ticket under pressure.

Source

You're right. It would be best if Palin "resigned" instead of being kicked off, but I think people would know the truth.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
If she is governer of Alaska and is so proud of full of been so.

I think she should keep her full of it persona up there along side the cold up there.

Why in god names are people waving there limbs at this woman? She has never left the country to see the world, bar Iraq on a business visit. Her arrogance and ignorance just oozes out of her.

She is the most idiotic ignorant person in her position, or ever in history.

A pit bull with lipstick, would people of America get real! We could do with having calm people around Washington for once. Golden labrador running around the garden's is no harm to anyone just to say, or better than a pitbull.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I have to agree....

Couric: And when it comes to establishing your worldview, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this to stay informed and to understand the world?

Palin: I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.

Couric: What, specifically?

Palin: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years.

Couric: Can you name a few?

Palin: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where it's kind of suggested, "Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?" Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.

join