It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist Acronyms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Survivalist Acronyms, Just an intro to help new folk grasp what we are waffling about.

Retreat = Place of safety to live in during disaster, can be your home if modded or a camper van/ mobile home or purpose built facility.

Bug Out = Basicaly it means if you as an person or family have to flee your home, town or place of work because the place has become to dangerous to stay in.

BOB = Bug Out Bag. A Rucksack, travel bag or container containing survival tools, clothing, food and kit

BOV (1) = Bug Out Vest. A travel vest fitted out like a BOB

BOV (2) = Bug Out Vehicle. A vehicle modified to help you bug out and sustain you during your journey, In the US its often a 4x4 like a Jeep, and in Europe its often a camper van. BOVs really should be capable of being lived in for at least a week, so they should have sleeping space, cookers, water, toilet, storage etc. But in the US the trend is for big powerful go anywhere 4x4s. Single folks tend towards the 4x4s, family guys the campers. Some folks have BO Boats, other cycles, other horses and a few light aircraft / microlights.

EDC = Every Day Carry. Its a list of items that the seriously prepared will never venture out of the house without. Knife, Flashlight, Compass, Cell Phone, Wallet, Mulitool etc

PSK = Personal Survival Kit = Normally a small tin or pounch containing a mini survival kit, popular with soldiers venture explorers etc

SAK = Swiss Army Knife

KFS = Knife, Fork, Spoon,

FAK = First Aid Kit

MRE = Meals Ready to Eat (prepacked military food packs)

E & E = Escape and Evasion

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

Preps = Preparations

6Ps = Proper planning and preparation prevent poor performance

GOOD = Get Out Of Dodge bag ( another name for a BOB)

GHB = Get Home Bag, same as BOB

Cache = a remotely located store of food, fuel, aand extra kit for survivalists to draw on , usually sited somewhere along the chosen Bug Out Route

TEOTWAWKI = Common acronym used by survivalists to describe a complete social collapse IE The End Of The World As WE Know It.

WTSHTF = When The Sh1t Hits The Fan.

SHEEPLE = Mix of Sheep and people, used to describe the herd mentality of people who believe the government will save or rescue them in a disaster, came about after a Hurricane in the 90s that hit Florida, some people waited over 11 days and a few over 14 days for help to arrive.

FYI = For Your Information

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

No Duff = This is the real thing, not a practise.

Gucci survivalist = all the fancy kit, but no idea how to use it.

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Northern Raider]

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
excellent post, im glad someone posted i was wondering what TEOTWAWKI was

is there an introduction area where i should introduce myself to the forums.
thanks for the help guys and girls.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 103418RWC
excellent post, im glad someone posted i was wondering what TEOTWAWKI was

is there an introduction area where i should introduce myself to the forums.
thanks for the help guys and girls.

Your welcome

The only way to learn is to ask questions !!

join