It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoke breaks at work !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Let me start by saying that I am not a smoker.

I do not agree with banning smoking in public places either.

It's your body, cigs are legal ( to those of us over the age of 18 ) so if you want'em, get'em and smoke'em.

My Rant is...

Why are smokers allowed to take so many damn breaks at work !

The people that I work with go outside to smoke every hour on the hour, sometimes sooner !

I see some of them get out of thier cars in the mornings puffing away and then 50 minutes or so into work, there they go again !

We have one guy, who gets here at 7:30, smokes at 8am, again about every 30-45 minutes.

this is crazy!!

I don't get to take a break every hour, if I do, then I'm known as slacking off or wasting time... but oh... if a smoker wants to go outside and "burn one", then by all means have at it.

yes, we have complained, but nothing gets done about it.

I'm going to bring in sleeping pills and tell the bosses that I'm addicted to those and that I must have a 10 minute nap 4-5 times a day.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Just start taking the same breaks yourself. If people start kicking up a stink then point at the smokers!

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Just start taking the same breaks yourself. If people start kicking up a stink then point at the smokers!

Good advice. That's what I would do.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

I'm going to bring in sleeping pills and tell the bosses that I'm addicted to those and that I must have a 10 minute nap 4-5 times a day.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

BRAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I really really really really like that idea

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well,I am a smoker,and take smoke breaks. Now if I was still allowed to smoke at work,I would not take a break at all. I miss the good ole days.

The people around me don't bitch to much about me taking breaks though. They get and take walks,go upstairs and chit chat with their friend and so on. It evens out.
Really I could be the one bitching, if I wanted. My smoke break last 3 or 4 minutes,their walks last 15 or 20 minutes.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I think you should start smoking..............................

just kidding......but I really like the "power nap" idea!!

The same thing happens where I work too.

Nyeff - you should be ashamed of yourself!! You go out for a smoke at least once every half hour.......what are you waiting for at this minute? Me to come down and have a smoke with you!!!!! YOU ARE BAD:shk:

[Edited on 3/23/2004 by Venus]

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
sometimes, I do take breaks when they do.. not very often though.... I escape down to the mailroom and talk to my buddy Dave !

One other thing that bothers me is the smoke smell, whew.... when they come back.. look out !

I would use some air freshiner, but we also have people who can't stand things sprayed, it bothers them..

maybe it's me, I just need to find a new job ?

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Considering i dont smoke maybe i could start taking booze breaks!

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Considering i dont smoke maybe i could start taking booze breaks!

AREN'T YOU A TEACHER????

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yep but please shhhhhhhhh

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Yep but please shhhhhhhhh

That is sooooo comforting

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venus
I think you should start smoking..............................

just kidding......but I really like the "power nap" idea!!

The same thing happens where I work too.

Nyeff - you should be ashamed of yourself!! You go out for a smoke at least once every half hour.......what are you waiting for at this minute? Me to come down and have a smoke with you!!!!! YOU ARE BAD:shk:

[Edited on 3/23/2004 by Venus]

Hey.....I resemble that remark.
What the hell else am I supposed to do. You know my job is 8 hrs of boredoom. I work with a snitch, and 2 woman. I need to go outside.:bnghd:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
would you rather smokers taking smoke breaks or co-workers being all pissed off and unfriendly because they are not allowed to get a smoke? Non smokers should take breaks as well.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I smoke at work but only during my given breaks. I wish I could go out every hour for one though lol. That would be so keen.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I am a smoker. Not all smokers are abusive of "smoke breaks". I must admit there are people I worked with and who have worked for me that have used "smoke breaks" as a way of getting out of/ putting off work. There are also those who will walk away from an almost complete task to go smoke. This is very frustrating for people who are waiting on a completed job. I sympathize with you but not all smokers abuse the "smoke break"

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
When I was an executive in a high rise office (and a smoker) all my "million dollar" ideas came while standing on the loading dock downstairs puffing away. Contrary to what nonsmokers may think, the smokers brain does not turn off for seven and a half minutes while smoking. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

I also used to drag files and letters down with me to read while I smoked. Given a hectic office and ringing phone, sometimes the only work I could get done was outside smoking. (Working for RJR was the best though...puff, puff.)

Also I can't speak for all smokers, but many are workaholic types and get twice as much done in those 50 minutes between smokes than the non smoking whiners do that are too busy watching the clock and keeping tabs on the smokers to do their own job.

FYI, as a manager you typically know who is getting the job done and who is not...and most of the time, it's not the one coming to you complaining about another employee's break habits. Take that for what it's worth and do as you will. I'm out for a smoke.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
When I was an executive in a high rise office (and a smoker) all my "million dollar" ideas came while standing on the loading dock downstairs puffing away. Contrary to what nonsmokers may think, the smokers brain does not turn off for seven and a half minutes while smoking. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

I couldn't agree more. Most of my best ideas for work, college e.t.c. Is when I went outside, had a smoke and thought about things.

The reason we get our breaks is because if we don't we become irritable and don't work as well as we could. It's because of you non-smokers that we had to go out for a smoke in the first place. We can't win either way!!!

The people I've worked with in the past have never had a problem with me taking a smoke break every hour or so. It's only 5 minutes and I usually came back with new ideas e.t.c. We don't just switch off.

Stop trying to ruin a good thing for us, you'd hate the alternative even more I guarantee it.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
all of you make valid and good points, my problem isn't with the smokers who do perform well at thier job.

Our work can't be taken outside, it requires us to be on the telephone as much as possible.

It's the ones who don't perform and never get anything done, there are only two smokers in my dept. that take the break every hour and get the work done, there are 4 others who abuse the breaks, never get anything done and just don't care, those are the ones I have the problem with.

I do take breaks, but not every hour, and if I started too, then I'd become the one known as slacking off.

oh well, I feel a little better after ranting about it.

take care

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Well elevatedone your actual problem is with lazy bastards, not with smoke breaks. I suggest you re-evaluate your gripe, us smokers are far too easily a scapegoat.

new topics

top topics

join