It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coon cheese is next, says campaigner (racial slur)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Coon cheese is next, says campaigner (racial slur)

www.news.com.au

AN anti-racism campaigner says Coon cheese is next on his hit-list after the Queensland Government ruled a grandstand being rebuilt in the state's south would not be renamed after E.S. "Nigger" Brown.

Mr Hagan, said the cheese, formerly manufactured by Kraft, used to have a black wraparound and was named Coon as a joke.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This sort of political correct crap is friggin annoying to read. Most Aussie kids have eaten Coon cheese and wouldn't think that there was anything untoward about it.

Why the hell should some wanker academic decide that he can bring down brandnames, based on his interpretation of what racism might be?

The world's a tough place, idiot, so get used to it. This is as bad as being arrested for having a gollywog in the window!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Agreed that this is political correctness gone wrong.
I dont think people see this as racist cheese.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well, that bloke did a lot to get the "'n-word'" name from a football ground or whatever it was removed.

He had death threats to himself and his family, people trying to run him off the road, all that sort of thing, so he's passionate in what he thinks is right.

It took him 10 years to do that, which I admire for his determination.

As for Coon cheese... That's a bit like the golly wog biscuits that some people took to task.

I think it's going too far with the cheese. Leave the cheese be.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
OOOOOO I know whats next! Lets ban Vegemite because it is slanderous against Vegetarians! And those poor Mites! Animal Cruelty I tells ya! Where is the RSPCA and why are they not sueing the Vegemite brand?????? The poor poor mites.......

Wankers.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I also agree, PC is going to extreme in so many instances.

I have never even heard of 'coon cheese' nor would I have associated with anything racial had I did hear of it.

Politics, someones always CUTTING THE CHEESE

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

FYI "Coon" cheese is an Aussie brand name, anyone reading this topic who is not Aussie (or Brit) may not understand half of what is said here as us Aussies love to launch off into Aussie slang when we see something we disagree with.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
I have never even heard of 'coon cheese'

The Aussie based food company (it's now owned by the USA) called Kraft, manufacture Coon cheese, as well as our famous Vegemite.

Kraft products are fairly popular in Australia. Many Aussie kids have been happy little Vegemites at some point in their lives, me included!

This *person* trying to place a ban on the Coon brand name needs a serious dose of reality injected into his system.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I know one of the original Vegemite kids!! You know that old ad "We are happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be etc etc". I can proudly say I know one of the original woman who starred in that ad!

Anyways back on topic...

Mabo and land rights was one thing, something I agreed with, but THIS is ridiculous. It's taking racism and sensationalising it. A bloody disgrace if you ask me and these blokes need to take a good long look at their objectives here.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this case has gone before the courts before. It was denied years ago on the grounds of the company was named after Edward William Coon.
He invented a technique for fast maturation of cheese. It had nothing to do with people calling Abo's Coons...
Some people are border line retarded I reackon. Does anyone remember the assface who tried to sue John Farnham for performing after his farewell tour?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I was under the assumption (From an Aussie friend of mine) that Abo itself was a racial term......

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
I was under the assumption (From an Aussie friend of mine) that Abo itself was a racial term......

Yeah, it is. But you should see the way most of them behave!
I'm sure lots of people have seen or experience pointless hostilities from these guys (not all though).

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Grailkeeper

FYI "Coon" cheese is an Aussie brand name, anyone reading this topic who is not Aussie (or Brit) may not understand half of what is said here as us Aussies love to launch off into Aussie slang when we see something we disagree with.

Bloody oath mate, normally I'd say she'll be right but in this case I gotta say this bloke is off his rocker!

This reminds me of some goody two shoes wanted to change a towns name coz it was called Gingin, Struth some people need a good slap round the ears I say.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
People need to get a friggin life already. The name "coon" was around before the other and here in the southern US, its a short work for raccoon.
People love to bitch about things and when they run out of things, they start making them up. I swear, you can read a newspaper through people's skin nowdays, I'm from Tennessee and laugh when people call me a hick, hillbilly or redneck and 99.9% of the time, agree with them. Words are just that, WORDs and if theres no harsh meaning behind them, whats the problem?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Coon Cheese? I was going to say I didnt know they could milk a racoon and make cheese from the milk. Oh well I suppose Wouldnt the coons be more apt to be ticked then it being racial? Nope I think someone went a bit to far. Way way to far. Leave the coon cheese be before the Coons start biting back. they bite real hard to. Nasty little buggers makes you wonder how any one would ever dream of wanting to milk one?

Hilda

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
In 2003 a guy named Stephen Hagan took this to court and it was thrown out, the cheese was named after its creator Edward Coon

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Coon Light is an affront to Michael Jackson!

But in seriousness, I'm surprised it took this long for the PC crew to get onto this. If it was, say, honky-brand cola or cracker-brand biscuits I would be more offended at some git being offended in my name at such trivial nonsense.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
You know what? If they get rid of this cheese you guys have over there, then I want them to stop calling crackers crackers. That upsets my fragile wussy nature every time i hear the word or see it written on a box at the store.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Hey if we had to get rid of every thing that was controversial wouldnt we have to get rid of Angel food cake? Or Devils food cake? Or even Ding Dong cakes? Because there name could be taken the wrong way? Wait a minute we cant call cat food, cat food any more because that may make people think its made from cats? White bread cant be called that any more since its racist. We cant call brown bread, brown bread any more since that is racist to.

Hilda

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Snift

I'm from Arkansas, and often get called the same names. But I just agree with them, politely listen to whatever diatribe they are on, and then tell them, "We don't give a d**n how ya'll do it up nawth!" That usually shuts them up.
Could someone from Oz please tell me what a "golly wog" is?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join