It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need force recon info

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Anyone know where I can find some stuff on Force Recon other than the standard mission statement? My dad was in it during Vietnam ('65-'67), but he didn't really talk about it much... One of the few things he told me about (which is about the only thing I've been able to read battle accounts of) was how his unit was involved in the NVA offensive against Khe Sanh. How the military decided to take a well placed special forces base and build a big ass airstrip and then put a couple of divisions there...who knew the NVA would start shelling the place?

He also talked about how the CIA was involved in handling much of their missions, or what the end result was... Said "spooks" were always around.

But anyway, there isn't much real good information out there on Force Recon and was wondering anyone on here had any or could point in me in the right direction?

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Check out www.specialoperations.com. They have the most info on Force Recon. But yeah, there isn't much on them. For one thing, they're not part of the USSOCOM, so they don't recieve much attention. The fact that they're basically a specialized group of the same Marines and since Marines are a special operations-capable force, there isn't much to tell.

Force Recon are obviously recon personnel, and that's their main job. You won't see them pulling of Army Special Forces or Navy SEALs jobs.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by oscrogo
Anyone know where I can find some stuff on Force Recon other than the standard mission statement? My dad was in it during Vietnam ('65-'67), but he didn't really talk about it much... One of the few things he told me about (which is about the only thing I've been able to read battle accounts of) was how his unit was involved in the NVA offensive against Khe Sanh. How the military decided to take a well placed special forces base and build a big ass airstrip and then put a couple of divisions there...who knew the NVA would start shelling the place?

He also talked about how the CIA was involved in handling much of their missions, or what the end result was... Said "spooks" were always around.

But anyway, there isn't much real good information out there on Force Recon and was wondering anyone on here had any or could point in me in the right direction?

You will rarely find any operational information on any of the groups involved in SOCOM. You will find basic information on past operations and training information, but not much more.

new topics

join