It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FTC Sweep Stops Peddlers of Bogus Cancer Cures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
ftc.gov — The Federal Trade Commission today announced 11 law enforcement actions challenging deceptive advertising of bogus cancer cures.

www.ftc.gov...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cltcam

It is very interesting how all of those are natrual herbs. Sign of the times... If made by mother nature or GOD it is dangerous and should be outlawed, if made in a lab it is safe. I say screw the FDA, if I ever get cancer I will refer back to that list and take every herb on it.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cltcam

While I don't object to the notion that the Federal Trade Commission is charged with ensuring people are not endangered or fooled by unscrupulous vendors of 'health foods', I do have a concern that the entire commission's leadership is in the pockets of Big Pharma and the American Chemical Association.

The claim that “There is no credible scientific evidence that any of the products marketed by these companies can prevent, cure, or treat cancer of any kind,” (Lydia Parnes, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection.) --- bold text by me (you'll soon see why...)

I would expect that they should be required to show that 'negative' evidence. It is easy to make such claims as "no credible evidence" as long as you accept their word that they are the experts to determine what is and isn't 'credible.'

"...no credible scientific evidence that any of the products marketed..."

but the legal action states: “Many of these products are scams,” ...

What happened to all? Now it's "many"? How many? And why the rephrasing?

The document the FTC published also uses words like; bogus, concoctions, and other derogatory phrases, but I never heard them use such phrases describing deadly products released and then 'withdrawn' by pharmaceutical companies.

The truth is, the FTC is about as credible as the FDA or any of the other corporate constructs in our government (FCC, EPA, NASA, etc.)

Most importantly, note the closing proviso...

NOTE: The Commission files a complaint when it has “reason to believe” that the law has been or is being violated, and it appears to the Commission that a proceeding is in the public interest.
The complaint is not a finding or ruling that the defendant or respondent has actually violated the law. The stipulated final order is for settlement purposes only and does not constitute an admission by the defendants of a law violation. A stipulated final order requires approval by the court and has the force of law when signed by the judge.

emphasis mine.

Unfortunately, chances are these businesses have been indulging in the tired and true paradigm of snake-oil sales. But the sad truth is - It ain't so just because the FTC says its so.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Already a thread on this topic.......

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

The search engine is your friend.

new topics

top topics

join