It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Muhammad Ever Really Live?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Wasn't there an issue regarding the writing of the koran that was discovered in an abby that was bombed during world war 2?

www.spiegel.de...

A number of Islamic associations have put a quick end to their collaboration with a professor -- and trainer of people who are supposed to teach Islam in German high schools -- who has expressed his doubt that Muhammad ever lived. Islam scholar Michael Marx spoke with SPIEGEL ONLINE about what lies behind the debate and the historical person of the Prophet.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I'm one of his descendants, so yes, if I exist so does he.

People who are born from his lineage can trace their roots back straight to him, and some even further.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
On reflection, yes he probably did. But it's like with other historical figures who have supernatural qualities attributed to them, i.e a certain guy in the beginning of the first century that legends have sprung up around them over time.

So did these people exist? Probably yes, but did they exist as they are portrayed now? Probably not.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mabus325

Unlike with the character/man, Jesus, there are actual 'eye witness' accounts of this man living and acting. There are historical records created by 'others' who witnessed his actions.

Believe me, I'm a former 'Chrisitan' (I only say former because I believe the general message of Jesus is great to follow but the conflicts between the various books has created more questions for me than answers), so I'm not trying to hold up one religion over the other.

Personally, I have come to believe that religion, in general, has evolved more into a control mechanism instead of one that truly has the 'people' in its best interest.

In other words, this is simply a bad topic.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
In other words, this is simply a bad topic.

This is a perfectly valid topic.

Personally I imagine he did exist, simply because you wouldn't make up a prophet who couldn't perform miracles, and who probably wasn't even literate.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It seems a pretty weird thing to debate this topic, and use that article as proof, considering that it consists of an interview with a non-muslim who says that that german muslim's point of view is silly.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

I agree,it is a valid topic and,although the man most likely existed,its highly unlikely he flew about on his flying horse.

[edit on 01/12/01 by karl 12]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I seriously don't understand these kinds of scholars that keep popping up. Yes, Mohammad existed.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I gotta see it to believe it. I never met Mohammed and I never met Jesus and I never met George Washington. I can't fine one person alive who has met these people. To me it's all second hand accounts. So it comes down to a matter of faith. Faith that the writers of the gospels actually talked to Matthew, Mark, etc. Faith that the writers who said they personally knew Mohammed were telling the truth, faith that the man who recounted Washington's vision of the angel was telling the truth.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Gday,

Originally posted by dariousg
Unlike with the character/man, Jesus, there are actual 'eye witness' accounts of this man [Mohamed] living and acting. There are historical records created by 'others' who witnessed his actions.

Interesting...
can you tell us the details about these accounts and records, please ?

Kapyong

top topics

join