It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trivium - Shogun.... One of the best metal albums EVER!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ok so i have had the absolute pleasure of listening to Trivium's new album "Shogun" in its entirity - wow.

I have been a music writer for major newspapers in Sydney, Australia in the past and have been heavily into all things metal for the last ten or so years.

Let me tell you - THIS IS A CAREER AND GENRE DEFINING ALBUM!

As i listened to each track i was literally left with my mouth agape and the biggest cheesey grin painted across my face. It is the album Trivium was always capabale of and had hinted at but had never gotten close to.

Shogun contains some of Trivium's heaviest riffs to date fused with glorious melodies and an ambition to create something historic - boy have they delivered.

The closing and title track of the album goes for over 11 minutes and is all music - no silence or filler here. This track, Shogun, is Trivium's at attempt at an all-time heavy metal classic (complete with lighters-in-the-air acousitc sing-along moments) and i'll be damned if they haven't nailed it. What a track!

Forget Metallica - Death Magnetic, this year it will be ALL about Trivium - Shogun.

This is the album where the Trivium legend is born - mark my words!!!

Metal album of the year, maybe of the century 10/10

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
And for those who either don't know who Trivium is or who want to hear some of their new stuff, check out this - i filmed it when they toured here (Sydney, Australia) in August this year.

Awesome song too!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Ok, Where do i begin
1.If there was no metallica, There would be no trivium and there would be none of those other popular metal bands, metallica started metal,
They didnt create the genre nothing like that, But they kick started it , so dont be so quick to start touting "forget metallica"
2.Best metal album of the centurary?,ehm no freind..Your far off there, Metal died in 2005
and 3. 11 minutes of pure music isnt anything new, its just hasnt been done by many of the new lazy bands that are out now, Props to trivuim for doing it, But a track being 11 minutes long with no breaks or pauses isnt somthing to be gloating about, I suppose most people just expect it to be good because hardly any bands do it anymore, But in reality ,the best tracks ever have been over 8 minutes long
Have you ever seen a song over even 5 minutes long by most bands today? , most of thier songs cant even break 3 minutes

Oh well

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Metallica started to push from old skool metal to a more modern metal sound. They are legends. They have written some of the best metal songs ever - no-one will ever take that from them.

BUt just before i wrote my opening post i had the chance to listen to Metallica's album and Trivium's album back-to-back.

My reaction was of boredom and disappointment towards Metallica. yes, it is more on the right path than St Anger was but essentially they are living off past glories.

Trivium, on the other hand, have finally reached that point where even the haters will have to admit that the music is solid. To be a metalhead and think otherwise is to dellude oneself.

People have always said that Trivium is trying to be Metallica but i think they have now surpassed Metallica as far as current-era goes.

Put it this way, 2008 will NOT be remembered as the year of Death Magnetic.... MARK MY WORDS!

In regards to song lengths - you are 100 per cent correct. Bands have lost the art of the long song. All my fave tracks are, as you said, at least 8 minutes long. 3 to 4 minutes just ins;t long enough to take any listener of a musical journey.

BUT i was pleasantly surprised to see Trivium unlaod such a killer long track, especially in the current atmosphere of music these days.

I dunno, i've been listening to metal for years and was so impressed at Shogun. Its a big step up and one which i STILL say will be the album of 08, and in terms of metal, possibley since 2000. I really cant think of any CLASSIC metal albums being released in the last 8 years

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Seriously, if you really think Trivium's new album is that good you really haven't explored the world of Metal very well at all. For a start, they are nothing new whatsoever. So they make an 11 minute song, its the same rubbish all the way through, shows a complete lack of creativity - please see Opeth on how to do long running time songs with creativity and superior song writing ability in tact. Their style just simply copies Metallica and In Flames - want to hear how Trivium should sound if they were able to write songs? Please see In Flames - Colony album released 10 years ago!! or In Flames - Whoracle album! They are the biggest case of fraud against Metal that I have seen since this whole hardcore/metalcore/rip off Swedish Metal bands core scene come about. All this style was played out years ago - its just now being pushed to the mainstream by American bands. I'm glad Trivium are pushing Metal into the mainstream, but don't be fooled into thinking they are something great! They are rip off of Melodic Metal from Sweden with Metallica vocal structure! Oh and also Metallica are great but without Venom, there would be no Metallica!! Also, how can anyone say its the best ablum in the last 8 years of Metal?!!!!!!!!! Thats just insane!! Seriously, get out there and dig deeper in the Metal field!! Anyone who thinks Trivium is the be all of Metal is not delluded but simply uneducated!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Ohh my god i love metal and the new trivium album is going to ROCK! What people have toold me is that it is not as hardcore has there previous albums.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Chimaira would hand their ass to them.They are in the studio for their fifth album and will show these trivium kids how its done.
Haha no triviums ok they are a solid band but i think they are overrated.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Chimaira would hand their ass to them.They are in the studio for their fifth album and will show these trivium kids how its done.

I total agree with u Azador i dont think that trivium is that good The Agony Scene is the best band ohhh and others in my colection

top topics

join