It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret eco-village tribe living off the grid in wales

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Oh my goodness, these houses are adorable! I would love to live off the land like this, and be self sustaining. I love how people are making this a reality, more and more of us will be soon too, I predict.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Elf coulden't have said it any better...

"This type of community does not give any wealth, or "slave" labor to bankers and politicians, they are not "consumers" and also they wont "fight for the Country/Motherland/Homeland/Queen & Country"

They have realised "they" as in the elite and as above need "us" more than "we" need "them" to survive! "

When people start to figure out that they dont NEED all the things that are shoved in our faces every day through media...then our govts wont be able to afford all the wars they are creating.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It sounds great in theory. But then I think about the hygiene. Or lack thereof.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
boil some rain water and take a nice hot bath! You can still buy soap you know.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
How would one go about living like this? Could I hypothetically move into one of these villages? Do they accept strangers? I would love to try this lifestyle for a few years!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So they won't get the US treatment? Raided by feds, slammed with fines and thrown in prison? Doesn't sound they're paying taxes. Not paying taxes is like the leading cause of death in the US.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

This is really something. This is what I call progress but then I am called a dirty progressive, a dirty liberal....Seriously, what is wrong with a little dirt?

I was looking for ATS threads dealing with "the grid" since someone I work with claims to be trying to fix it. Sort of weird but until I look into it I won't know what she is talking about. Meanwhile I stumbled on, and really like this thread.

Let's bump it up.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

pfff. No architecture, no computers, no tools. etc etc.

The flaw of living off the grid is that you are still putting out waste, your life expectancy is lower (though not that much due to GE foods), and you're pretty much screwed if anything goes to hell.

Sure they can do what they want. But it is NOT the right idea. Tribal life style irrecoverably leads to despotism and barbarianism over generations.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

pfff. No architecture, no computers, no tools. etc etc.

The flaw of living off the grid is that you are still putting out waste, your life expectancy is lower (though not that much due to GE foods), and you're pretty much screwed if anything goes to hell.

Sure they can do what they want. But it is NOT the right idea. Tribal life style irrecoverably leads to despotism and barbarianism over generations.

Nah...I think that depends on the tribe.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
call me crazy, but when i see pictures of those houses, semi emerged in the soil, and organic in every way ( i agree with what another poster said, looks like one of the hobbit dwellings from lord of the rings ), it gives me this feeling like - ' yeah, that's the way it's supposed to be '

i mean, i for one could feel comfortable like that, and manage an honest life that way, it actually gives me butterflies just thinking that they dreamt it up and did it, because it reveals to me, and us all as well, that it IS possible in this day and age to do something like that

i hope someone or everyone else who hears this story or of these people and their community has the same positive reaction that i had ..

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

No tribe ever had a constitution nor equality in the history of Earth. Only civilized, especially post-industrial, societies.

Tribalism has not done any benefit to humanity other than acting as a transition from civilization to dark age, insuring witchcraft, witch hunts, and other fallacious of bad religion and bad-culture.

Tribalism is primitive for a reason. To bring religion into the picture, As a Christian I can't say much because God flat out does actions that says he hates the city. But at the same time he allows them to form. he obliterates tribes, but not societies and civilizations. Civilizations he is more patient with.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight

another one

looks like a hobbit home to me

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

No tribe ever had a constitution nor equality in the history of Earth. Only civilized, especially post-industrial, societies.

Tribalism has not done any benefit to humanity other than acting as a transition from civilization to dark age, insuring witchcraft, witch hunts, and other fallacious of bad religion and bad-culture.

Tribalism is primitive for a reason. To bring religion into the picture, As a Christian I can't say much because God flat out does actions that says he hates the city. But at the same time he allows them to form. he obliterates tribes, but not societies and civilizations. Civilizations he is more patient with.

Yes because the tribes didn't know better. Now we do.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

And how do you suppose that knowledge will remain true? Books? Kept in the hands of little villagers? We saw how well that went in England when the Romans left and In Rome Herself. They DID know better. But once the barbarians entered and civilization fell, it was lost. Forever. Some has been rediscovered. But there is a lot that is not.

Information can only be secured in a large clean facility with the hands of enumerable people to ensure full security from editing. Information needs electricity. Just look at how we still debate on what happens in places without internet, and in times before it.

Villagers can't run modern society.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I could dig (excuse the pun) living like this in hobbiton, looks pretty. Could make a living by brewing your own alcohol as well as that's pretty simple to make!

Only thing that dissapoints me is they charge £145 for anyone wishing to volunteer to cover meals, which I don't really think is fair and kind of goes against what they're trying to do doesn't it ?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The Welsh are so behind the times. It's been happening in New Zealand for decades!

www.stuff.co.nz... -off-the-grid/

Robert Long, 54, was living "off the grid" decades before the expression was coined, and the author of A Life on Gorge River: New Zealand's Remotest Family has remained that way for 30 years.

He and his family live so far from the nearest settlement that it takes two days to walk to the nearest road, and then only after fording several rivers.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
If I'm reading about it on ATS then it's not too much of a damned secret.

Nonetheless very inspiring though.

Many more people should be so close to the Earth like this. I can respect that. It takes a certain strength of person.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

And how do you suppose that knowledge will remain true? Books? Kept in the hands of little villagers? We saw how well that went in England when the Romans left and In Rome Herself. They DID know better. But once the barbarians entered and civilization fell, it was lost. Forever. Some has been rediscovered. But there is a lot that is not.

Information can only be secured in a large clean facility with the hands of enumerable people to ensure full security from editing. Information needs electricity. Just look at how we still debate on what happens in places without internet, and in times before it.

I have thought about this. Elders. Elders know things and share stories, the more you keep them in your circle the longer the clan will survive. It is a fact of life all groups of people need a leader because there are some who will stray willy-nilly like lost sheep just following whoever is making the most noise. Your leader must be kept poor and on the same level as his/her people...the teacher (which is a better word for leader) needs also to be wise and just.

These folks are out there.

I don't hate the race that much.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

In fact in this land Britain, before any of the normalsn, vandals, romans or saxons came, where arguablly the oldest language in the world was and is still spoken (maybe Australian aboriginal is older but that is still being debated in such circles), the original Welsh AKA the druids of stonehenge etc fame, had a very very very advanced culture and civilisation.

Huge amounts of literary and poetic culture.

However, as in the tibetan and yogic indian cultures, and also the native North American Indians, the "knowledge" was passed from one Master to an apprentice/student. Only those deemed suitable to not abuse the power of the information were (in religious and shamanic/healing terms) were given it.

Orally from one generation to the next.

No chinese whispers it took many years of learning and repeating before you were labelled as able to pass it on yourself.

This was for the "secret" knowledge, though the folklore and other stories were passed from community meetings to the young etc.

It worked very well for many years, and even today it is a mystery how the ble stones got to the henge and the precision of the alignments without anything "written" down.

WE only need to look at Constantine and the re writing of the Gospels to see the effects of "centralising" knowledge and writing it so it is misinterpretated and given to those who abuse the information for personal gain, or to control society or gain wealth and power.

This all stopped when the Romans came and in their Civilised and centralised "modern" culture society realised the way to crush the Britains and esp the welsh Druids, to stop it in one generation the culture was to cut out the tongues of all the elders and Druid/shamans.

Tens of thousands of years of knowledge was lost in just 40-50 years in that way.

Very civilised eh?

Is that bad?

What is modern society?

Villagers, also is an misnomener, just because a few practise this lifestyle now they may be called villagers, but the anciant cities in South America and UR and Iraq sumerians etc show that in those times such practises were very "modern" at the time.

Just because it is "modern" now does not mean it is good.....

The lonliness, coldness, poverty, crime, pollution etc etc of large metropolain areas shows that "Modern" society is not working as well as we would like to imagine.

Look how many have no idea who their neighbour is, and have no one to go to when alone and hurting in turmoil, though someone who has lived 30ft from them or through 1 ft walls for twenty, who does not know their name has no idea of the fact they committed suicide months ago until they are discovered....

Because their community is now wher they work as slaves to the sytem and passive false TV soaps, instaed of speaking and uinteracting with their real neighbours.

Infact I bet about 90% of people who watch soaps etc spend hundreds of hours more a year passively watching fake interactions about "community" on the TV than ever interacting with those just a few feet away, who are real people not pretend.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Modern society is a stoic society to be honest. The sad fact is that inevitable such things fail. But villages fail faster than cities. Even the Bible, for example, required a civilization with opposing leadership in order to secure oral deviation.

Personally I am not a fan of "ancient knowledge" what not. Those Gauls were known to sacrifice people and do horrible things. Sure they had good medicines and songs. But that would be about it. Sub-Saharan culture and Gaulish culture is virtually identical in its ways. The animals may be different, but their ways are not. So if you want to know what those Gauls acted like, take a trip with a Bushman. You'll find crazy dream-inducing roots and great tunes. But you will not find ancient knowledge that is useful.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Gorman91]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join