It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nick Fury vs. SHIELD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Since ATS is a conspiracy site, I figure somebody else here had to have read this. If not, you should.

First printed back in '89, it's still one of my all-time faves and even though the story's far-reaching impact was later retconned out of existence, it still is a great read as a stand-alone tale -- one of Marvel's finest epic tales of government corruption and cover ups.

This is the mainstream Marvel Universe at its late 80s finest, and its the orignal Nick Fury here, not the Sam Jackson clone from the Ultimate universe. This is the cigar-smoking, eye patch-wearing superspy Colonel Nick Fury who fought in WWII and Korea and was the Director of SHIELD all the way through the Cold War thanks to the Infinity Formula.

This is not your typical "beat you over the head and spoon-feed you the story" kind of deal. There's mystery and intrigue, betrayals and divided loyalties. It deals with the rise of a New World Order and a secretive global government. It deals with the question of just how far you go when you're following orders. It's about finding where your loyalties really lie -- with the old friends you know and trust, or the organizations and countries you pledge your allegiance to. There are super-spies, cults, double agents, propaganda, shadowy government figures, worldwide financial market manipulations, corporate big brother tactics, and a lot more.

It's a step into the shadows and was far ahead of its time IMO. I recently reread it again and it still holds up, nearly twenty years after it was published. If you're interested in reading it, I'm pretty sure the trade paperback is still available. The story is probably also available online as well. Any comic fan who enjoys any aspect of ATS should find time to work this into their reading.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip dude!
I will look into getting this, sounds like a very cool story.
I'm only 16 so of course I won't remember when it came out but I'll ask at my local comic shop.
Thanks again.

join