It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Eyes Nuclear Reactor for Moon Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

NASA Eyes Nuclear Reactor for Moon Base

dsc.discovery.com

Sept. 15, 2008 -- NASA is tip-toeing once again into what was once called the N-word -- nuclear -- with a technology development program aimed at powering its planned base on the moon.

The goal of the Fission Surface Power Project, which is based at NASA's Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio, is to produce a non-nuclear prototype unit within five years.

NASA's last foray into nuclear technologies was a project that began in 2003 known as Prometheus, which focused on both nuclear propulsion and nuclear-powered generators that ultimately could be used to support a manned mission to Mars and for deep-space probes, such as a mission to Jupiter's ocean-bearing moon Europa.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This is exactly what I figured they would plan on using for power on the moon. Seems relatively safe too. Thoughts anyone?

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
thoughts??

Heres , what I have to say.....

stop wasting your money on space projects and military power . Stop genocide in Iraq and middle east .......

tell US govt to help its people , rather than wasting money endlessly , USa is headed for a soviet style collapse

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

Although off topic, I tend to agree with you...now back on point

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by no name needed
reply to post by manson_322

Although off topic, I tend to agree with you...now back on point

reminds me of a soviet plans for a nuclear powered mars base ....

Soviet had the topaz nuclear reactor that could operate in space, while USa has no counterparts comparable to Topaz ....

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Seems like this will be a "kickoff" point that will move us towards building other nuclear devices (i.e., propulsion devices) that will enable us to travel into deep space, with the moon as the launching pad....just a thought.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
A non-nuclear unit? Doesn't sound so bad.

Here's a thought, maybe this technology can be used here on earth
Could be very interesting especially with rumours that cold fusion is possibly viable again.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Here...this is just for fun...off topic....but, heck, I started the topic....so here goes...hope you all get a laugh!

top topics

join