It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy lessons anyone????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Hi I was just browsing todays APOD picture and there was an announcement regarding a free astronomy lesson online by APOD editor who is a professor at the michigan tech and it covers all the introductory astronomy, heres the link

www.learnoutloud.com... tory-Astronomy/23871

And the contents covered are,

Introduces fundamentals of astronomy. Topics include Kepler's and Newton's laws of motion, origin and evolution of the solar system, galactic astronomy, extra-galactic astronomy, cosmology, and modern instrumentation, including space-based astronomy.

And one of the ratings of this is,

This is a really good introduction to astronomy for non majors and is really worth downloading if you are an amateur astronomer. The professor also has a good sense of humour.

And all of these are podcast, so make sure itunes is installed.

I am really going to enjoy sundays now.

Please do share your opinion.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by peacejet]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
ok the link doesnt seem to work it always happens when I start a thread just click the link below.

www.learnoutloud.com...

Hope it helps.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
This is a great thing to know about, trust me!!

Not only is it interesting as hell but when I take a girl out, I like to come back after, lay on the grass and look up at the stars together. Start tossing out names of constellations and stars and you've pretty much sealed the deal boys lemme tell you

The ladies are all about a man who can show them the Big Dipper!

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE

Hope you show your girl friend the big dipper, unless you know the location already.

And anyway the big dipper would be visible in the night sky for only one half of the year and what will you do on the other half when the daytime blocks the big dipper.

Just joking enjoy the lessons, we are going back to school or college.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE

Hope you show your girl friend the big dipper, unless you know the location already.

And anyway the big dipper would be visible in the night sky for only one half of the year and what will you do on the other half when the daytime blocks the big dipper.

Just joking enjoy the lessons, we are going back to school or college.

The BIG Dipper is unblockable!! Even by the sun!

Seriously though I remember teaching myself most of the constellations when I was in high school for exactly this reason lol..
Hell even if you pretended you knew what you're talking about it's not like she'd be able to call you on it

"Yeah baby, that's the Supreme Dipper of Excessive Black Hole Penetration"

"Ohhhhh I see it, I see it!! Wowww you're so smart Mike, let's make babies!"

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

no you are not understanding everyday the stars rise three minuted earlier because of the time lag between the rotational time of lthe earth and our time setting so, the stars rise early and early and in one part of the year the stars are in the sky in the sunlit time and we are unable to see them.

Hope you got the point I was trying to say.

Iam an amateur astronomer, ask me any more questions and I will answer the question.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You just download Stellarium program from

www.stellarium.org

install it and set your location and fast forward your time to day if the current time is night and turn off the atmosphere effect from the button below or press a, you will see the stars which are blocked by the sunlight during day time.

new topics

top topics

join