It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it takes to break a human

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I have been looking at all the LHC threads and everyone seems to have been freaking out and didnt even know that today was a test and that they didnt even collide any atoms today. What im trying to say is that many people freaked out and prepared for their last days over nothing really but their assumptions and rumors. I mean just because some scientists say that it will destroy the earth doesnt mean it will.

So what does it take to break a human? to make someone abandon their reason and hope? to make them fall to a level of panic and barbarity?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The loss of identity.

Spend your entire life thinking you know who you are, and what you are supposed to do and what you are capable of, thinking you have a hunch about "what it's all about", and then have all that shatter.

Then you'll just feel like an empty glass shell. Life becomes going through motions with no hope on the horizion.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo
The loss of identity.

Identity is an illusion anyway therefore loss of one's "identity" might be just what everyone needs to truly find their real identity.

I don't think people freaked out. I know I didn't. I rather knew the facts. However I'm finding people like to argue fallacy. They don't know facts, they are even unsure of how the feel about a topic, but they have been taught time and again that they can "BullS*it" their way through life.

I'm noting people rather just be heard talking, texting whatever, ten fold more then they care to know what they are talking about.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated

Originally posted by Reddupo
The loss of identity.

Identity is an illusion anyway therefore loss of one's "identity" might be just what everyone needs to truly find their real identity.

Identity is not an illusion. Perhaps if you are talking about our theoretical eternal oneness. Fine fine whatever. But in THIS dualistic reality, the one we are experiencing, people are seperate, and have identities (ego based).

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Hot sun, whips, and cotton fields...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

Thank God someone spiritual has said this... because I faced what many people who lose their identity because of feeling "the oneness" experience... and it taught me something. If you don't have your own original unique self, you have no reason. Sure, oneness, great. That's what I said. We can be one and we can be individual, and it all exists because it is existing. You can't deny that something isn't when it is. You can say that the government is an illusion, that fear is an illusion, that limitations are illusions...and sure you can transcend them, BUT in order to transcend something...it must first EXIST! I got tired real quick of this lunatic version of oneness that I was faced with, and coincidentially (or not) simultaneously have heard several other people speak of it like it's some sort of wonderful thing to be engrossed in at all times. No it is not that great to be one always. That is why we exist.

I think.... to truly break someone, you shove something like "we are all the same" down their throats and force their eyes open when they aren't ready to understand that, while we are all one, we are also individuals. If they do not see that there IS duality because it is... then you could tell them that evil is actually good, and that secrets are actually for the masses own good, and you can do horrible things and use countless numbers of people as pawns of Genocide Fear and Hate in the name of "The oneness".

Maybe good can come from evil, so in a way it is good because it teaches us how to change and evolve... but I see way too much potential for brainwashing in a realization of something like that... and I think that this is kind of how the secret societies and whatever forces that control and break the will of humanity use their "occult" indoctrination rituals to do. Break the will and the identity of a person by tearing away their sense of self by showing them "the light" in a very misdirected way, while simultaneously rebuilding that sense of self into whatever monster they need for their agenda. I've seen this "light" and oh my God nobody could imagine the good that could come from it, but in the same breath... I saw the opportunity for evil to misuse "divine" realization for its own selfish agenda.

The only effective way to maintain the ISness is by letting everyone be who they are, because in the end, yes the results are always the same... yet one method seeks to constantly destroy the unfolding of these results in a hesitant fashion through force... and the other faction seeks to maintain the unfolding and the love for it for as long as possible.

Strictly conservatively speaking... there is one thing that has been used to break people of their will and conform to the agenda, and that is fear of lack, fear of death, fear of dying and meaning nothing. People have been indoctrinated throughout the ages to believe that they alone cannot make their own meaning, and that they must mean something to the whole. This is a lie. You can make your mark as long as you are satisfied with yourself and the life you've lead.

That is enough.... for you as yourself are the whole, and you are only as important as you think.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
i think this thread enforces my point of view:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated

If 'identity' is an illusion, how can there be a 'real identity'? Either all identity is an illusion and there is no 'real identity', or all identity is real and not an illusion.

It's gotta be one or the other - you can't have your cake and eat it too.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Folks, we can question identity in another thread, a most worthy topic! But here I believe the question is about breaking a person.

I had this conversation a few months ago, and I believe that it depends. For example, those monks who burnt themselves to death to protest Vietnam, and didn't utter a sound. That's discipline, I have no idea if someone with that level of acceptance could ever be broken.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreySwordsman
Folks, we can question identity in another thread, a most worthy topic! But here I believe the question is about breaking a person.

I had this conversation a few months ago, and I believe that it depends. For example, those monks who burnt themselves to death to protest Vietnam, and didn't utter a sound. That's discipline, I have no idea if someone with that level of acceptance could ever be broken.

I believe they could be broken. Not in that case because they had a purpose, an identity--they were the being who was supposed to spread a world changing message.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
to break a person is easy in theory - you simply keep them in a CONSTANT state of unrest, and uncertainty. That means, not knowing if/when they will eat, be tortured, treated nicely, allowed to sleep, etc. Prevent them from knowing what time of day it is (which usually means no windows, no fresh air).

Once they are in this state of uncertainty, you begin to trigger cognitive dissonance within them - get them to have all types of internal conflicts (this can be accomplished with good cop / bad cop techniques, where they switch off at random, not based on behavior or anything predictable).

At a certain point, they will be struggling to grasp for anything that resembles reason or consistency.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
There is plenty they could do. The police would probably just microwave you for years, until your brain is destroyed. Others may do other things.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tankthinker
So what does it take to break a human? to make someone abandon their reason and hope? to make them fall to a level of panic and barbarity?

When a Cat 4 Hurricane is coming at you, and the news is nothing but full of doom and gloom..............that breaks a lot of people

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

I cannot argue for or against what you're saying, simply because I don't know. I do think however people like that would certainly not succumb to the vast majority of things that would break a normal person.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
i realize that breaking a person is more difficult, but breaking people is easier, i bet that in a group of 1000 people if 100 break then another 870 will break along with them.

what are your thoughts, do you think there could be a mass world-wide panic?

btw. thanks greyswordsman for getting things back on topic

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tankthinker
i realize that breaking a person is more difficult, but breaking people is easier, i bet that in a group of 1000 people if 100 break then another 870 will break along with them.

what are your thoughts, do you think there could be a mass world-wide panic?

btw. thanks greyswordsman for getting things back on topic

I think that the world is in a constant state of panic. Why do you think the world goes to work every day like clockwork? It's a quiet panic, yet it lingers over the heads of especially Western society daily. If they don't DO THEIR JOB, they and their family will starve, they will be looked down upon, and eventually they and their family will either die or be cast out of society. Bills, bills, bills. Money money money. Work work work. Buy buy buy.

Look around. People's wills are already broken, and they don't care to know it. Invisible slave drivers have been installed in their minds. They think they WANT to live this way, it's so bad.

Support America, the land of the broken willed Corporate slaves.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Personally, i think it's lack of appreciation that breaks people. And i mean 'personal'. So by people i mean me, if i am people.

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
If they don't DO THEIR JOB, they and their family will starve, they will be looked down upon, and eventually they and their family will either die or be cast out of society. Bills, bills, bills. Money money money. Work work work. Buy buy buy.

this is what pushes people to their breaking points. And if they do all they can but still fail to be appreciated - ie looked down upon, cast out by society - they will break. kill others and/or themselves.

My way of dealing with this is by not caring. I don't care what society thinks of me. i'm living and that's all there is to it. If society really has a problem with me than kill me. Otherwise let's just go about our it own way. I know i will.

You can make your mark as long as you are satisfied with yourself and the life you've lead.

That is enough.... for you as yourself are the whole, and you are only as important as you think.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by surrender_dorothy]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Interesting ideas and responses. I think if a person's looses their hope, they loose their resolve and after that all the fragments crumble. I have seen three generations of people crammed in a piece of crap boat -- one that I wouldn't dare to try and get a mile on the open ocean with -- try to get from Cuba to Central America. They knew their chances were slim, that the greatest probability was that they would die on the ocean, but that hope, that chance of something better kept them going. They were not broken, they were whole.

top topics

join