It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water Purification - Use on 'old' water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Will an MSR miniworks work on stagnant, brackish or otherwise 'old' water.
I'm just wondering if you stored water in a container (not hermatically sealed) for months / years on end and filtered it would it be safe to drink...?
I reckon yes, but second opinions are the name of the game here.
What say you wise heads

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I'm almost positive it would filter old water...I've tried mine in a few places now and havent had any problems, the worst place was a s' filled stagnant brown coloured pool and the filter worked like a charm, it took a bit of cleaning afterwards but apart from that there was no problem

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Nice one Freddy.
I mean to leave some water containers up in the loft and carry out some crazy tests after they've been up there a while

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
You'll definetley have to post the results of that experiment! I suppose you could add a few drops of bleach to the contained water before filtering it.

Done a bit of digging, check this site out it has lots of pos/neg reviews on the MSR Miniworks (mostly positive!)

www.thebackpacker.com...

Also it might be worthwile getting one of these...

MSR Sweetwater Prefilter

I'm seriously considering getting one, its like a primary filter to get rid of anything over 75 microns, this should take some of the stress off the main carbon filter

[edit on 8-9-2008 by fred3110]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
what about an R/O (reverse osmosis) water filter? similar to one that is used for aquariums? they cost about 75 bucks (and up) but can do 30 gallons a day and could run for up to a month on one filter (thats 900 gallons or so). they do require electricity but dont take up much wattage.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
print this out and save it for an emergancy just incase your power goes down or no access to the computer .... tons of info !!

grandpappy.info...

or better yet make on these for $10 ...... last a lifetime and nothing to replace ..supposed to work pretty good esp if its all you have

tilz.tearfund.org...

more info on homemade emergency water filters

www.onlinetips.org...
www.alpharubicon.com...

water storage

www.ext.colostate.edu...

[edit on 8-9-2008 by bravo40]

top topics

join