It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin Cut Funding for Alaska’s Special Needs Children by 60 Percent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

At her speech before the Republican National Convention, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin made this heartfelt-seeming claim, via CBS News online:

Palin: “To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House.”

The facts here show Governor Palin cut funding for special needs kids dramatically.

In 2007, before Palin assumed her office of governor, the State of Alaska FY2007 Governor’s Operating Budget for the Department of Education and Early Development Special Schools Component Budget Summary (this department provides services—not just school but services—for children with severe disabling conditions) includes approved and necessary budget increases to help special needs children. This budget was released in December, on the 15th to be precise, 2006.

In that budget, the budget actuals are (FY = Fiscal Year):

FY 2005 6945.30
FY 2007 Management Plan 7949.30
FY 2007 Governors 8265.30

Palin was elected governor in November of 2006, and assumed her position in January 2007.

When budget time rolled around in 2007, Sarah Palin—self professed advocate for special needs children, mother to a special needs child, aunt to a special needs child, and who promised in her acceptance speech last night that she was there for special needs children — slashed the budget. When she said she would be a “friend and advocate in the White House,” I guess she just meant in words, not with actual money for needed services.

Here’s what the State of Alaska FY2008 Governor’s Operating Budget for the Department of Education and Early Development Special Schools Component Budget Summary shows:

FY 2006 7949.30
FY 2007 Management Plan 3173.70
FY 2008 Governor 3156.00

You see right. Under Governor Palin, funds decreased from a planned budget of 8265.30 to 3156.0. That’s a 62 percent decrease. Actual consumed amount went from 7949.3 to 3156.00, where it lingers to this day. That’s a 60 percent decrease.

Palin Cut Funds

But now that she has a special needs child....Guess what? Funding will go up (by 2011):

Palin significantly cut funding for special needs children. However, the latest bill passed very close to the time of her son’s birth and well after she knew she was going to be a special needs mom, did indeed set in motion by 2011 to basically restore funding to similar levels as before Palin. Corrected for inflation, it would be very close.

So, she may now be an advocate, but she wasn’t before it became personal to her. Before that, special needs children seem to have been one more group to cut, someone else’s needs did not seem to impress her.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by justme2

Alright, I mentioned this in the other thread; however, I got it a bit backwards over there. The issue is that, allegedly, funding for the Alaska Challenge Youth Academy was formerly included in the Special Schools line of the budget. Apparently the ACYA isn't related to physically/mentally challenged students, but more of a "boot camp" for "troubled" youth. Palin gave the ACYA it's own line; so now it gives the appearance of a 62% cut in funding for Special Schools.

PDFs:
FY 2006
FY 2007
FY 2008

You can find the education allocations at approx. pg. 12/13 (by Adobe). By adding the ACYA + Special Schools you'll find the "cut funds".

[edit on 9/8/08 by redmage]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
reply to post by justme2

Alright, I mentioned this in the other thread; however, I got it a bit backwards over there. The issue is that the funding for the Alaska Challenge Youth Academy was formerly included in the Special Schools line of the budget. Apparently the ACYA isn't related to physically/mentally challenged students, but more of a "boot camp" for troubled youth. Palin gave the ACYA it's own line; so now it gives the appearance of a 62% cut in funding for Special Schools.

PDFs:
FY 2006
FY 2007
FY 2008

You can find the education allocations in Adobe at approx. pg. 12/13. By adding the ACYA + Special Schools you'll find the "cut funds".

[edit on 9/8/08 by redmage]

Thanks RedMage.

I am man enough to admit I was wrong. I looked at the allocations all wrong. Thanks for spotting this. My apologies to all.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
You're welcome. It was no problem at all.

I actually heard some pundit mention it live on the news the other night (the 62% cut), and went online to investigate. I only stumbled across your post later on, and I didn't really recall all of the specifics; just that I had written it off as far as I was concerned. I figured that since I was the one to bring it to your attention, the least I could do would be to fill in the gaps.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by justme2

I admire your willingness to admit when you are wrong. Wish more people were willing to do the same. This place would be far better off.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Even with the budget razmataz, It doesn't look like she increased the budget until it became a need for her.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
First off, I think the only difference between Palin and a barracuda is lipstick. I am a democrat to the core.

With that said, I have to add that the case of the 62% missing funding is actually resolved by her splitting those funds into a line item for a specific 'educational boot camp' school which has little to do with early intervention, physical, occupational or speech therapy that autistics and other disabled children DESPERATELY need.

As stated in previous posts, when she became aware of her own situation, the budget drastically improved and has been adjusted.

Thanks All,

Phillip (father of autistic child)
www.myspace.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
so this thread can now be labeled as a [HOAX] ?????

top topics

join