It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I hope nobody is offended by this question, but I have been wondering why forums like "Decision 08" and "Politicians" are placed in the main section of this site.
Why not within BTS? Or within "Above politics"?

I am asking because, as a non-American, I find them very tiresome. And there is a whole lot of them!

Also, most of the "Breaking alternative news" are actually just ordinary political and/or social news, with less mainstream exposure than they deserve perhaps, but there's nothing "alternative" about them.

As I said, I hope nobody is offended, but I just had to ask.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Wow... not even a single reply?

I guess I must be the only one, then.
Sorry.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

I just don't read them. It's the same old this candidate did this or that candidate is a lier kind of deal. I want facts about them not hearsay. Sometimes you have to read through all the junk just to find a diamond in the rough.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

BTS is for more light hearted and less serious topics . In what has proven to be an unwise move the seperate AP board was canned . My advice is that if politics doesn't interest you then don't visit the political boards . All my experience as a member points to the fact that high quality political discussions are usually tucked away and involve a handful of members . Justin Oldham Conspiracy Master forum is a good starting point in this regard .

These discussions went unnoticed and somewhat unrewarded . Its only been since the closure of the seperate AP board and the fact that it is election season that the powers that be suddenly care so much about such topics . I am hoping that after election season season finishes I an other members will be left alone to continue the discussions that I have found to be so rewarding .

I also need to point out that there is a thread devoted to issues raised by members .

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that at least someone was willing to listen.

Myself, I often get sort of tired before I even scroll down the main page - because I come here after heavy-duty mental work - and I know a few people who even got depressed by the subject lines they see..(Just saying, not "blaming" anyone.)

Anyway, thanks again.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by AdAstra]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Strange Bedfellows

Almost four years ago, we actually created a separate website for politics which was with us for several years, but ultimately it turned out the relationship between politics and conspiracies was far too complex to be easily divided.

Even now, with separate political news and discussion forums on ATS, the distinction can be difficult to establish.

Certainly, our members cannot be blamed, because the line between politics and criminal conspiracy is so blurry these days as to be indeterminate.

So now politics are "back" on ATS, and though there are specific forums for political discussion, I think it is only fair that our members be cut a great deal of slack for failing to appreciate the difference between "pure" politics and political conspiracy discussion.

Indeed, even politicians seem to have no respect for the distinction.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
SO tried very hard to clean up the political thread nonsense, but it seems to have not worked out. Even today you can find mud-slinging threads.

I've decided to treat it like cable tv. I have over 250 channels, but I only go to those that interest me even though they all appear on the menu. I'm no longer going to post in or click on political threads. Day after day of the same conversations, between people who are never going to consider each others idea's anyway, is not worth the bother. The definition of insanity in fact.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Almost four years ago, we actually created a separate website for politics which was with us for several years, but ultimately it turned out the relationship between politics and conspiracies was far too complex to be easily divided.

I was always puzzled by those who couldn't seperate pure political discussions from political conspiracy but that's just me .

reply to post by Blaine91555

What you are seeing is a result of there being no outlet for political discussions. There are outlets for other topics for example those who need a an outlet from Conspiracy's in Religion have the Faith and Spirituality forum over on BTS and so on . I have raised this matter over on the ATS Issues thread but it went unheeded in favour of other matters .

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

"Strange bedfellows" was the actual name of the forum/website?
Well, for what it's worth, I think it's brilliant.

Maybe the idea is not too dead to be resuscitated at some point?

[edit on 25-9-2008 by AdAstra]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I know what you mean.

But it's precisely the "flipping channels" what I find so tiresome...

(Not whinging, just saying...)

Maybe in time I'll get used to it and it won't bother me that much.

top topics

join