It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biased Media Coverage and What Can be Done

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
There is no question that the MSM is biased in it's coverage of the candidates and their parties in this election cycle. The 3 networks, NBC, CBS, and ABC are biased in favor of Barack Obama, as well as MSNBC and to a lesser extent CNN.

FOX News is know for their conservative bent, but they tend to be more fair and balanced than any other video media.

The bias is evident in the unfair attacks on Palin's family, as well as the refusal to cover the controversial aspects of Obama/Biden.

The bias is evident in the print media also. Magazines and newspapers lean to the left and support Obama.

We can argue whether they have a responsibility to balance their coverage, or whether it is their right to determine who they will support and how they will cover them. But that is pointless.

What we can do is to take action to let them know we are aware of their games, and to make our displeasure known.

Calling or writing the stations is basically ineffective. They will ignore you, or at best respond with a canned letter or email.

What does works, and has shown to be very effective, is to hit them in the wallet. And we can do this by contacting their advertisers and threatening to boycott their products. Advertisers are very sensitive to public opinion, and have been know to pull their ads from media that act in a controversial manner.

A letter or email to a major advertiser, along with a single reference of media bias, from a thousand people can be enormously effective.

I'm all for this approach. Anybody else?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Very good.. contact advertisers and threaten to boycott.. not just for the bias but for media censorship as well..good idea hit them in the wallet.. Only thing I have an issue with you saying is that fox is fair and balance for is anything but that!
just because they say it does not make it so.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
Very good.. contact advertisers and threaten to boycott.. not just for the bias but for media censorship as well..good idea hit them in the wallet.. Only thing I have an issue with you saying is that fox is fair and balance for is anything but that!
just because they say it does not make it so.

They have the most diverse audience of people and while I can say it used toi have a bigger right wing slant, its definitely much more balanced these days. Just look it up, they have an almost even split of democrat/Republican viewers. Unlike all the other networks, which have very high democrat viewership and lower Republican.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
this is about the tenth time i've seen accusations of media bias today from the republican camp, the media are liberals blah blah blah.

the only reason i find this pretty funny s because i've spent the last 5 years reading the exact opposite from the democratic camp around here, the msm are neocon puppets blah blah blah.

interesting development, at some stage someone's going to realise that the MSM are biased towards those in power, always.

don't bother checking national polls, just check who the majority of the MSM are pushing, thats the guy who's gonna win, simple.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

don't bother checking national polls, just check who the majority of the MSM are pushing, thats the guy who's gonna win, simple.

Remember this?

www.google.com...://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/25/dewey_wins.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blog.wired.com/business/2007 /07/365-main-boasts.html&h=304&w=305&sz=17&tbnid=WkYZLSj5B4EJ::&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddewey%2Bwins&hl=en&usg=__FYXGaJT5rrFgrJ2PZ8_ANNWC HNo=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

[edit on 5-9-2008 by jsobecky]

top topics

join