It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have the British media been silenced over McKinnon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I am amazed at how quiet the British Press and media have been over the forthcoming extradition of Gary McKinnon and wonder if they have been "silenced"?

I wrote to a number of reporters on the biggest selling tabloids THE SUN and THE MIRROR and asked them to get behind Gary and call on patriotic Brits to back the appeal to have Gary's case heard in the UK and NOT to let him be extradited. One reporter got back to me asking for more details and seeming very interested, then after the info was given, all went quiet yet again!

This is something that both tabloids have done in the past, "the big patriotic thing" supporting Brits by big front page campaigns, so why are they so quiet on this one?

This STINKS of a massive cover-up, and I cannot believe that the greater public are not being told what is going on!

What else can we do? Suggestions?

Ross

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Damn right!!

Every e-mail I sent to the press went unanswered. Either they've been silenced or they're happy to leave the subject well alone in favour of celebrity gossip because they simply don't understand the subject matter.

And it wasn't just the tabloids I e-mailed. I tried the Times etc. and got the same wall of silence!

I e-mailed many MP's and members of the government and again was met with silence.

The ONLY reply I received was from my MEP's secretary's secretary type of thing, washing their hands of the matter, mumbling about "due process...........best of luck to Gary and his team..." etc. etc. and then they gave my e-mail a spam rating!

Most people in the U.K. don't understand the subject, are unaware of the existence of the extradition treaty and believe Gary is some sort of SUPER-HACKER on a par with an organised terrorist.
...........and those that don't just can't be arsed with the subject!
a case of "I'm alright Jack!" methinks.

As for suggestions as to what we can do, well we'd probably be banned for discussing ORGANISED protests on here like mass mailing of the media and govt. Maybe we could discuss that on your show though Ross?? Times running out for Gary but I won't stop prottesting about this extradition treaty. If Gary goes to the U.S. the fight ISN'T over!!

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Nexus1]

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Nexus1]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Im not sure what to do short of protesting.
At the moment his name is all over the net,but how fast will he be forgotten once he is locked away?

We cant let that happen.
I feel that what is happening to Gary has been and will be happening for a long time unless we the people all over the globe stand against it.

It really could have been and likely will be anyone of us at any moment who dare speak out...Dont let it get to that...we like to think our lives are our own...it's time to prove it.

Take the power back.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
No wonder the geezer is down, he is tread on my some toes. Not sure really what to say, other than yep the media is quiet, they know to keep out of certain things.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I have been following this case for a while now.
I have read about the story in the sun for most of it, and googled it aswell to keep bang up to date.

At the start, the Sun had full pages devoted to his story but as it has progressed they have become smaller and smaller until i read he has lost his appeal at the court of human rights and it was in the side margin of no more than 100-150 words.

I hope his appeal to the home secretary gets a positive answer but i,m not holding my breath

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
If the fact that he was about to be extradited made the front page of The Sun, there would be public outrage at the fact that he was being shipped off abroad for trial and that would be a terrible embarrassment for the government here, so you can kind of see why this is happening!

What we need is a journalist and a paper willing to stick their necks on the line like they used to do but I fail to see THAT happening I'm afraid. So much for the "free press" huh?

Ross

top topics

join