It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Politics: A complete Analysis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
So now we finally have a complete ticket from both parties.

You have Palin/McCain and Obama/Biden

We've heard what all four have talked about with things like Abortion, Economy, Iraq, etc etc. All very important, but that doesnt mean they're the only important things.

For me, the second most important issue is the Space Program. So lets see how each candidate stands accordingly:

The Democratic Party

Barack Obama :

To quote Mr. Obama himself:

We need a real vision for space exploration. To help formulate this vision, I’m going to reestablish the National Aeronautics and Space Council so that we can develop a plan to explore the solar system – a plan that involves both human and robotic missions, and enlists both international partners and the private sector.

And as America leads the world to long-term exploration of the moon and Mars, and beyond , let’s also tap NASA’s ingenuity to build the airplanes of tomorrow and to study our own planet so we can combat global climate change.

Under my watch, NASA will inspire the world once again, make America stronger, and help grow the economy right here in brevard county and right here in Florida. That’s what this election is all about. It’s about raising our sights, seizing this moment, and reclaiming our destiny in this country.
Source

Mr. Obama has, as well, come up with a plan to further the excellence of the United States in space exploration (source found here

Please visit the link for full descriptions, but here is a preview:

• Develop the Next-Generation of Space Vehicles
  • Complete the International Space Station (which Biden has made actions already to support (see analysis of Joe Biden further on)
  • Continue Unmanned Missions
  • Monitor the Forces and Effects of Climate Change
  • Support Scientific Research
  • Keep Weapons out of Space
  • (truncated...please visit link for full list)

Joe Biden :

Senator Biden is the chair of the Foreign Relations Committee, and helped introduce (along with Republican member Richard Lugar) The International Space Station Payments Act of 2008

Basically - this bill will lengthen the current waiver in the North Korean, Syrian, and Iranian Nonproliferation Act that allows NASA to buy flight time from Russia. (and currently expires at the end of 2011).
NASA officials have said that they require the extension since it takes up to 3 years to build a Soyuz spacecraft.

Another thing to keep in mind about Senator Biden:
Not too long ago - we read about Barack Obama supporting the re-enstatement of the NSC (National Space Council)
which has, in the past, been chaired by the vice president. Biden would be involved in a much larger role in the field of space exploration than he currently is.

The Republican Party

John McCain

John McCain has been involved in a number of efforts to improve America's scientific prowess within the space arena. As Chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Senator McCain played a major role in legislation to provide funding for space exploration (manned and unmanned), space science, Earth science, and aeronautics research.

He also sponsored legislation to support the up and coming commercial space industry, and led the Senate's efforts to implement improvements to NASA after the Columbia accident. Senator McCain has also spearheaded efforts to control costs at NASA and promote a space exploration agenda based on sound management, safe practices, and fiscal responsibility.
source

Visit the link for more information. Senator McCain has been in the senate for a long time, and he has made many votes on many different issues which covers the concept of space exploration.

Recently, when asked of Senator McCain to give an analysis of his space program, he respondonded:

He also said he strongly supports missions to Mars and that Florida should continue to play a major role in space exploration.
"There's too much invested there. There's infrastructure that's very expensive and very extensive there," he said.
Source

Gov. Sarah Palin
At the time of writing this thread (8-31-08 at 11:22 pm CST) There is currently nothing I could find to give us a view as to how Sarah Palin stands on science, or as to what measures she’s made in the direction of supporting Space Exploration.

So it appears that Obama/Biden atleast take the space program seriously enough to have acted upon it in the past and have an extensive plan worked up to support their agenda to further excellence in space.

The McCain campaign does have a space plan, but based on only 1/2 of the ticket having an opinion on the space program - it becomes very hard for the average American to find out where they stand.

I'm unsure as to why Mrs. Palin has no opinion on the space program, but maybe she'll be reading this and enlighten us all as to how she feels about the total survival of our dominance in space.

My vote, surprisingly, goes to Obama/Biden.

We may not see the Surface of mars during OUR life time, but to put that possibility for my children out of their reach seems unthinkable.

Put your trust in the hands of the people who will fight hard to make it happen.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
China and Russia aim to weaponize space - whatever military controls space will be the world's most superior military. From knocking out to defending satellites.

Obama's just blowing hot air - he sure as hell can't afford to fund NASA because of his Global Poverty Act and Univeral Health Care, which, when combined, are a whopping 1.6 Trillon$ to fund.

NASA has always done well on its own. Government interjection would only ruin NASA.

Free-enterprise companies like Catapillar have future plans for mining and building Moon colonies etc.

NASA already has a comprehensive plan for putting "Humanoids" in Space.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Obama's just blowing hot air - he sure as hell can't afford to fund NASA because of his Global Poverty Act and Univeral Health Care, which, when combined, are a whopping 1.6 Trillon$ to fund.

Hmm, im not sure that I, nor anyone else in the civilized world, knows what you're talking about?

If you actually READ into the links provided, you'll find out how Obama plans on paying for it.

What i find most striking ist hat the veep on the RNC side has absolutely nothing in this area

in a society that thrives on technology - you would think "space" would be a pretty big concern...

Shouldnt they all have either some kind of action and / or policy they can rest on?

You might call it hot air - but the rest of us call it a plan.

Sorry that this hot air is blowing down the house of ignorance you live in...

join